Rubber or poly bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I am starting to tear into my truck to replace some much needed bushings for the radiator core support, leaf springs, and everything else. Do I want to get the rubber bushings or the poly? I started taking the front end off the truck tonight because I'm also changing out the motor. I need to get some stuff ordered but didn't know which bushings everyone liked best and why.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I got all poly, but I think I’d rather have rubber to be honest for the quietness and added plush. The poly are supposed to last longer, but I don’t care. I can replace every bushing in a day, so what if I have to do it once every ten years...I’ll be going back once I install my two post lift.

I got ORD stuff for suspension bushings and I believe energy suspension for everything else except the engine mounts. For those I used “OER” rubber bushings.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I used poly bushings several years ago. They were squeaky at first, even when lubed, but quieted down after a few months. It was a simple job to do them one a time by jacking the truck up in the driveway. I was lucky and did not have any stuck or broken bolts.

My bushings were so bad that my floor pan was sitting on top of the transfer case. Getting the body off the t-case really quieted down the drivetrain noise in the cab.

Bruce

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
It really depends on what you want out of the truck.
Is it a plush and comfy work cruiser, rubber.
Is it a hard charging street beast, poly.

I have all poly in one of my cars and it doesn't bother me at all.
I did it for the performance feel of it.
It sticks in the corners and doesn't have much body roll at all.

If you are unsure, it sounds like they are simple to change if you do not like them either way.
I do like the hybrid idea @Scott91370 has taken with his truck.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Where’d you get your rubber bushings? Can’t find em anywhere :/
Sorry, I didn't replace them. They're old but were in surprisingly good shape. I say that without seeing what a new set looks like.
But you're right, all I am seeing so far is poly.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LMC, National Parts Depot, and Classic Industries all sell both rubber and poly body mounts. I know LMC and National Parts Depot sell rubber suspension bushings.

I have all three paper catalogs.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LMC, National Parts Depot, and Classic Industries all sell both rubber and poly body mounts. I know LMC and National Parts Depot sell rubber suspension bushings.

I have all three paper catalogs.

I swear I checked classic and and LMC. :/ Saw they had them for the 70s model but couldn’t find mid 80’s

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I had completely collapsed rear cab bushings on my 80 k25. I replaced with the energy suspension poly mount bushings and they work great. I ordered it from summit and got a big tub of their silicone lube at the same time. No squeaks and they are not that stiff at all. In fact, they are just right in the stiffness department so I would be worried the rubber ones would be too soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64