Changing front rubber brake lines. Where’s the inner clip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Trying to change the front driver side rubber brake line on my 1980 C20. Like everyone else that I’ve found online it’s not going easy like you would want it. Come to the conclusion that I need to do like others and remove the clips and use a vice grip on the flare and a 6 point wrench on the old brake line to remove it. For the life of me I’m not understanding where the clip on the inside is at. All of the pictures and videos I’ve seen it’s already removed and is U shaped. Only thing I’m seeing is the socket shaped piece, but do see in the pictures I took. Some teeth shaped tabs on the inside to hold the threads. Along with I’m guessing you hit the clip on the inside of the wheel well with a chisel until you find the split as mine looks like a solid washer. Figured someone might could point out something obvious that I’m over looking since I do that a lot. And yes I know that area of my truck is nasty as all get out. Hoping to put it on the trailer and take it to work and hit everything with the heated power washer.
You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hose is keyed in frame. Only can go in one way. Otherwise, hose may kink or rub against something. When loosening nut, hold hose against frame on opposite side or it will spin.

Last edited:

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Loosten/Unthread that stamped nut in pictures 1,2,3,and 4
Thanks I was thinking it would unscrew, but I have torn up so much trying to fix something at work lately. It’s gotten me gun shy on just doing what my gut tells me. Trying to find a friend with a 15/16 crow foot at the moment as a wrench just doesn’t fit in there. That and I don’t feel like buying a whole set and it not work. Another night of Kroil oil soaking won’t hurt either.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
me thinks you need a pressure washer BAD.....
I’ve got a small electric one but it doesn’t cut it when it comes to 43 years worth of caked oil and grease. Pretty sure my grandfather never washed the underside. Did buy a couple cans of gunk engine degreaser today to try since purple power does nothing. Going to drag it to work and use the one we have with a heater to cut through everything.

On a good note the line is changed and brakes are bled.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I used to mix Dawn and K1. Softened and took any of that gunk off.
Had to do some googling. Guess the dawn makes the solvent stick and not evaporate as fast and have time to break through the gunk. Was debating spraying some old diesel on it since there’s a lot of road tar on driver side control arms mixed with the grease and oil. I used a plastic scraper, scrub brush, soap, and the pressure washer to that area before changing the caliper. Everything under the bed wasn’t nowhere near as nasty and was a breeze to clean.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had to do some googling. Guess the dawn makes the solvent stick and not evaporate as fast and have time to break through the gunk. Was debating spraying some old diesel on it since there’s a lot of road tar on driver side control arms mixed with the grease and oil. I used a plastic scraper, scrub brush, soap, and the pressure washer to that area before changing the caliper. Everything under the bed wasn’t nowhere near as nasty and was a breeze to clean.
I used to detail cars in HS and that was the mix an old timer told me to use. Kerosene would break down any crud but the Dawn (iirc I used Palmolive) kept it gentle enough so as not to strip or damage paint (like purple clean does). It always worked as advertised.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag