rocker noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Hey those rockers were not right! notice were the roller is on the valve tip, it is towards the centerline of the engine. When that vlave travels downward the tip is going to move in the same direction and off the tip. From looking at these photos, you have probably got .100 longer valves with stock lenght pushrods. Get you a geometry tester from jegs or summit and verify that through, pictures do have limitations.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
He had posted earlier that the roller was on the inboard 1/3 of the valve tip im thinking that as it travels its either stepping off the valve tip onto the keeper or the keeper is contacting the bottom of the rocker arm

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
It will. I misunderstood orginally, I thought it was the outboard side.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I kinda wonder if the noise hes hearing is the keeper hitting the bottom of the rocker arm and pushing the spring down a lil bite

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
More than likely. At a higher rpm it would probably drop a valve.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
I have Prostar heads. The cheapest ones you can buy I guess. When I had them off and the guy who checked my valve spring pressue I asked him about the heads. He said any aluminum heads are fine but he can make them just as good as anyother head. My oil will be 70 cold 60psi at operating temp. I worked late tonight didn't get alot of time to look at it. I found that the rocker doesnt hit the spring or retainer. I removed half of them on the left side. As they go down for the valve to open they kind of twist. the roller part on the valve will be off to one side. I noticed this as I was turning the motor over by hand. My motor is broke in, i havent floated valves or anything. I have got on it but not for very long. I remember now I had my length checked on my pushrods they are .100 longer than stock too. I got a piece of paper with the motor from the head mfg saying to use longer pushrods, what gaskets and sparkplugs. I picked up a set of stock rockers to try today. My dad found a set when he was moving lol.

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
What lift cam is that ? Install the stock rockers turn it by hand and see if they bind before starting it. your cam may need long slots rockers. I cant remember what lift stock rockers can handle. you might google it.
If they check out then they will be fine till you get roller tips, them stockers will flex at higher rpm.
Pushrod checker might be a wise investment.

Steve

Last edited:

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Unless you are keeping the rpm's in the upper range roller tips will work well on the street. The long slot is highly recommended for this application. ProStar heads are a China knock off; I have never used any so I can't say if they are any good. Since you have the paperwork for the heads check and see if they require self centering rockers. That might explain the twist you are experiencing.

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
There are guide plates on them heads there shouldnt be any "twist"
Are the guide plates a tight fit with the pushrods? Are the studs tight?
Are the guide plates and pushrods hardened?
Crap like this is why I dont buy stuff someone else put together.
Theres lots of Butchers out there and few engine builders

Steve

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Some of the heads that have large valves have the stud boss relocated a very small amount, but it is enough to cause this problem. GM started using self centering rockers to correct it. The guide plate will ensure the push rod geometry but will compound any movement in the rocker. Notice that all the large valve high rpm engines use a shaft mounted system like Jesel, this is the reason why.

Steve, I agree! There are a lot of butchers in the marketplace and people get burnt by them every day. There is no warranty on lack of knowledge. I'll stop before I get on a rant.

swagger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM-465/NP-205
Hopefully He will get it sorted out.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
I put on 2 stock rockers today. They seem to clear by hand cranking. I started it and then removed them I didnt notice any marks. push rod seems to be in the center of the guide plate too. Tomorrow will be the day I do them all. If this doesn't work I am going back to cast heads. Then I'll be able to drop down a class for truck pulling too. I definatly learned my lesson here. I know the bottom end is good, I buy parts from the place where the guy had the machining done and the lower end assembled there too. For all the problems I've had can't really complain. 383 and a new rebuilt 400 2wd trans for 3000. Trans works great, I sold that the day I got the motor to a buddy lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher