Rocker Install issure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Alright so I started by cutting out all the rusted metal which left me with barley anything to work with, once I cut it out I realize the bottom of the door post drooped outwards by a half of an inch! So now the rocker will not line up what so ever, I Have taken a rachet strap to the door post and pulled it inward and fasten the rocker down but the second I let the tension off the door post pulled right back out, Im stressing out here.......... any ideas

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
ok So I guess my question is if I pull the door post in with a rachet strap how do I get it to stay there back where its soppose to be

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This is one of those things that probably needed to be addressed before starting. I've seen people temporarily weld a piece of rebar across the door opening, and another on the inside to hold everything in line till you can get the panel in. Check under the door post and see if there is a floor support there you can tie it to. Also there should be an "inner" rocker panel which is just basically a flat piece of steel that helps brace the outer edge of the floor and door post as well as the rocker, it all kind of ties together. If you can take pics of what you have (or dont have underneath the truck, the back side of the rocker, etc. It sounds like you're going to have to put more steel to it.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
to be honest there is nothing left to take a picture of, Also I thought about welding a peice of rebar in the door opening but the problem is once I line the rocker up how will I be able to shut the door and make sure it lines up in that aspect?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's why it should have been done before cutting. Is there an inner rocker panel left? Start there if not.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ratchet strap it in, tack it in a few good spots, release, test, if it works weld it up good, if not cut em loose, adjust and weld again.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
That's why it should have been done before cutting. Is there an inner rocker panel left? Start there if not.

heres the thing My dad replaced the rocker probably four years ago, and even then there was no inner rocker, So I bought the inner rocker, new cab mounts, all the things he didnt replace then, so when I drilled the rivets out I put the new cab floor support and cab mount in welded them in, and in that time I went to put the rocker back on and it didnt seem to line up right. and here we are

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
ratchet strap it in, tack it in a few good spots, release, test, if it works weld it up good, if not cut em loose, adjust and weld again.

thats a good idea, thanks

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you're welcome buddy.

you gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

I need to bolt the top of my fender similar to that, have someone shove it in at the top really hard or alot of pressure and me bolt it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast