Riveted Frames to Welds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Anybody know when they switched to Welded Truck Frames construction, Versus our older trucks held together by rivets? Just Curious if anybody knows.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Anybody know when they switched to Welded Truck Frames construction, Versus our older trucks held together by rivets? Just Curious if anybody knows.

Probably when having totally rigid truck frames became bragging rights. These trucks were designed to flex to aid traction. If you go back and look at the old commercials, I think you'll find a few that show it.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That's crazy I guess I never really thought of that, I cant really see a boxed frame of welded construction flexing at all.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Ultimately a stiff frame and wet..err wait a minute... flexy suspension is better. Torquing the hell out of a frame just wears it out and it only gets softer as time rolls on. Then it's scrap.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Welded truck frames are made by machines...
the old riveted wonders were made by hand.
I would guess the assembly line mechanization was the driving force to go with welded frames.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think it had more to do with suspension technology and how far it's come since the horse and buggy days of our leaf springs. All this coil sprung independent crap only functions well on a rigid platform, thereby eliminating the need for the frame to be an active part of the suspension. Now it's simply a mounting point to hang it from.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'm no mekanikal engicaneer but whether it's riveted or welded (correct me if I'm wrong); flex or not, aren't there bolt-on and weld-on kits out there to reinforce where the steering box mounts?

I've seen a lot of units where guys have welded gussets and/or trusses to the frame. It seems to me that it's 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm no mekanikal engicaneer but whether it's riveted or welded (correct me if I'm wrong); flex or not, aren't there bolt-on and weld-on kits out there to reinforce where the steering box mounts?

I've seen a lot of units where guys have welded gussets and/or trusses to the frame. It seems to me that it's 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other.
Yes. The steering box issue was an area of unintended flex or stress, which produced the cracking of the frame. But beyond that engineering oversight, if you go back and look, these frames will move like a slinky on a three story staircase. They were just designed to be that way.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Really though, they flex simply because because it's just C-channel. The rivets actually make for a stronger connection in this case. They spread the load evenly across the mating flanges. Since newer frames are boxed, there's really no way to rivet them like the old frames.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If this has any indication of design strength. Rig frames are still made with C channel and cross members. Just st not with rivets. They use shear bolts. Once the achieve desired torque the heads break off.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If this has any indication of design strength. Rig frames are still made with C channel and cross members. Just st not with rivets. They use shear bolts. Once the achieve desired torque the heads break off.

Yep, and they flex too. Rigid frames aren't as important as new truck makers act like they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4