Reverse Light Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Curious what activates the reverse lights? Is there a switch in the column or what? Don't have reverse lights and am wondering if a switch may be the issue. The gear indicator also doesn't work so im wondering if that may be part of the switch or what?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
There is a white half moon shaped switch at the base of the column. Its a neutral safety/reverse light switch.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Try re-adjusting the switch by rotating it with the gear shift in the R position. It will make a ratcheting sound. Have someone watch the backup lights - when they come on you are done.

The gear indicator is very simple. See the images below - you'll figure it out:

You must be registered for see images attach

1989toddm

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Smith, hope you don't mind me asking a question of my own on this thread..I'm having troubles with back up lights on my 83 K10 as well. The shifter handle is loose and floppy, and the reverse lights only work if I hold the lever up against the reverse. My question is do I have to get a whole new cluster or can I fix this and keep my cluster?

Saved from hell by grace through faith, to live eternally one day with Jesus Christ and the saints in Heaven!

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Todd, you can follow the same instructions as above. My truck had the same issue of having to hold up the shifter for the reverse lights to come on.

I adjusted mine by putting the truck in drive (with the engine off) and moving the switch clockwise quite a bit. Then moving the shifter back into park reset it into the proper position. My back up lights work great now.

1989toddm

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Todd, you can follow the same instructions as above. My truck had the same issue of having to hold up the shifter for the reverse lights to come on.

I adjusted mine by putting the truck in drive (with the engine off) and moving the switch clockwise quite a bit. Then moving the shifter back into park reset it into the proper position. My back up lights work great now.

Thanks! I love the fixes that require a bit of tinkering rather than buying a bunch of new parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigred1985

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I really need some help, I bought a 1985 Chevy k30 4wd I've been restoring and alot of the wiring g for the lights wasn't hooked up but I've got blinkers head lights tail lights, BUT my reverse lights come on as soon as I turn the ignition.. and stay on no matter what I do..I've tried adjusting the white ratcheting thing in the base of the column but I've noticed there are no wires connecting to it..My truck has a 700r4 transmission and im lost as to where the wires for the NSS would go or what I need to do..Any help is much appreciated..Also my ignition will not turn in any position other than park..So I don't know what to do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade