RETRO-Mod: Jeep intermediate steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
And I guess a better question is how do I verify it's centered before I torque it down? If I jack the truck up by the frame and loosen the u-bolts will it self-center? I don't know what points I should be checking to other than making sure the u-bolts are vertical.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
And I guess a better question is how do I verify it's centered before I torque it down? If I jack the truck up by the frame and loosen the u-bolts will it self-center? I don't know what points I should be checking to other than making sure the u-bolts are vertical.
Tuff-Country lift kit instructions for our trucks calls for 120ft-lbs on the front spring eye bolt, 40ft-lbs for the rear hanger bolts, and 130ft-lbs for the U-bolts. I just moved the wheel left and right as needed until the axle was centered under the frame and then torqued everything down. It should really self center with everything properly torqued down.

Dark Star

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, I will check the other front-end components for wear and position.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
sorry guys I skipped thru this but anyone try a same era wrangler shaft? for some reason they are cheaper then the one for a cherokee?

Also if any of you guys on here are still snatching these and reselling send me a msg on price.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Tuff-Country lift kit instructions for our trucks calls for 120ft-lbs on the front spring eye bolt, 40ft-lbs for the rear hanger bolts, and 130ft-lbs for the U-bolts. I just moved the wheel left and right as needed until the axle was centered under the frame and then torqued everything down. It should really self center with everything properly torqued down.
Thanks. You were spot on. Calling the U-bolts and front eye bolt hand-tight would be generous. I'm actually embarrassed by how loose they were. I got everything torqued down and took it for a test drive. Seems good thus far.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Has anyone used a 87-95 Wrangler Shaft? The Cherokee shafts are like hens teeth in my neck of the woods...

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Be the first and let us know how it goes. :)
and if it works, I ask an Admin to add a reply early in the post that reflects the info plz. Long post, hate to miss good info like that through reading all the other posts. Or put a link to another post [that states check this updated post] with the info early in the post. Hope you get what I'm saying lol.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Be the first and let us know how it goes. :)
I bought one off of Epay...it was 20.00 free shipping. I don't have the time or the Salvage Yards anymore to try and hunt one down. It looks like the Cherokee shaft just longer. If all I have to do is cut it down, I'll let everyone know.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
and if it works, I ask an Admin to add a reply early in the post that reflects the info plz. Long post, hate to miss good info like that through reading all the other posts. Or put a link to another post [that states check this updated post] with the info early in the post. Hope you get what I'm saying lol.
If it works I'll get one of the Admins to update the original post from Retro. Or maybe just do another write up under it, and show what needs to be done with the Wrangler shaft...

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
My guess, it is a typo. "I" is next to "U" ;)
You are probably correct. I thought there might have been some kind of joint out there I had never heard of.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
my Astro van shaft swap was easy to find and cheap to buy and work great! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128