RETRO-Mod: Jeep intermediate steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got a couple of shafts at the pick a part yesterday, hope to get one on the CUCV this week and save one for the 78. Got lucky, someone started had taking one off and already had the steering box loose, unfortunatly the bolt for the bottom joint was missing.

Jdgrant96

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I swapped mine yesterday and am now having a new problem. I have play in the steering wheel in and out. I can push and pull the wheel toward me about 1/4 inch. I did notice it looks like the bearing at the bottom of the upper shaft hangs out around just over an 1/8 inch. Could that be it?

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
My truck is a 1980 GMC K25, but I'm running a 1976 tilt square body column. I did this mod with the Jeep shaft. I had heard on the Amazon reviews and elsewhere, that you need to grind part of the shaft on the column end, so the bolt will push all the way though to the threads on the other side. I did notice that the shaft is splined, and the jeep end is smooth on that end (steering box side is splined), but after cutting the notch and tightening it and using locktite, it sure seems perfectly fine to me. I've been driving it for a month without issue, but now some of you have me worried that I need to replace the top part of the jeep shaft that connects to the column and with a splined part?

Hopefully that isn't necessary, as it all seems so tight that I doubt it'll come off very easily on purpose to swap it out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I swapped mine yesterday and am now having a new problem. I have play in the steering wheel in and out. I can push and pull the wheel toward me about 1/4 inch. I did notice it looks like the bearing at the bottom of the upper shaft hangs out around just over an 1/8 inch. Could that be it?

The column is supposed to be independently affixed. I’d look elsewhere, either at the firewall or at the mounting ears under the dash.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

If your talking about the cap at the end of the column with the clip, yes that can create the issue you have. Should be around $15 for the kit and about 20 minutes time to change it. Make sure you put the clip on correctly. It has a center notch that goes into a slot. Somehow someway the previous owner put it on 180° out. Eventually it started pushing out the end giving the play your describing.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
My truck is a 1980 GMC K25, but I'm running a 1976 tilt square body column. I did this mod with the Jeep shaft. I had heard on the Amazon reviews and elsewhere, that you need to grind part of the shaft on the column end, so the bolt will push all the way though to the threads on the other side. I did notice that the shaft is splined, and the jeep end is smooth on that end (steering box side is splined), but after cutting the notch and tightening it and using locktite, it sure seems perfectly fine to me. I've been driving it for a month without issue, but now some of you have me worried that I need to replace the top part of the jeep shaft that connects to the column and with a splined part?

Hopefully that isn't necessary, as it all seems so tight that I doubt it'll come off very easily on purpose to swap it out.

So do you fellas think I'm ok the way it is?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Provided it stays tight on the splines I'd say so, BUTTTTT..... So let's say you lose your power steering all of a sudden and then you have to do power by Armstrong, as in your strong arms... Then you're going to be putting alot more pressure depending on the clamping to be tight on those splnes so you actually do street and it don't slip. That would be my only concern as far as a safety issue.

I am more interested in this kit that @Camar068 is talking about to convert the shaft to fit as an OEM type. Someone needs to do this kit and post it up as a sublet for the earlier model squares and the Jeep Shaft Mod.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Provided it stays tight on the splines I'd say so, BUTTTTT..... So let's say you lose your power steering all of a sudden and then you have to do power by Armstrong, as in your strong arms... Then you're going to be putting alot more pressure depending on the clamping to be tight on those splnes so you actually do street and it don't slip. That would be my only concern as far as a safety issue.

I am more interested in this kit that @Camar068 is talking about to convert the shaft to fit as an OEM type. Someone needs to do this kit and post it up as a sublet for the earlier model squares and the Jeep Shaft Mod.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

it's not a conversion kit. I was talking about the 1/4" play he had on the steering wheel. If it's wore out it will cause it. It's the lower bearing kit.

You must be registered for see images

Jdgrant96

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
it's not a conversion kit. I was talking about the 1/4" play he had on the steering wheel. If it's wore out it will cause it. It's the lower bearing kit.

You must be registered for see images

was thinking that may be the issue. Is that bearing supposed to sit flush with the cap?

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
my question is: if you don't have big loose on stock rag joint....swapping XJ shaft still worth it (since you can have some loose on upper bushing XJ shaft)? or maybe Astro 2003 ish is a more easy solution? thx :D

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
i think i'm gonna go for Astro solution! :D so tomorow its Hunting time! :)

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
so easy to remove from those Astro's...and well protected so part is clean and work good!

a take one.....and why not 2!! :D

price at Kenny U Pull $17 each :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704