Replacing ESC (electronic spark control) for standard HEI distributer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRBishop

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hello - Narrowed down an issue to what we think is a faulty ESC (electronic spark control). We are planning to swap the computer controlled distributor for for standard vacuum HEI distributer.

If we do this, will if effect anything else? Carburetor? Tranny? I did a search on here and other forums and have seen people say that they have done this change, but they never mention if anything else needs to be change when you do this.

Truck is 84' C10 w/ 305 / 700R4 Tranny

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Waylon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Waylon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
As far as I know, nothing else has to change. Just check your timing afterwards for initial timing and advanced and adjust if needed.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Been done lots of times and it all depends on who you talk too as to whether they are happy. I wasn't,as for changing it out and it bolts right in place. Timing is the problem when you advance it enough for decent power and mpg, it pings bad when you pull out enough timing to get rid of ping you lose your power and mpg. At least swap in your weights, springs, vacuum advance,and distributor cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76