Replacement Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Does anyone have any thoughts or preferences for replacement hoods? Summit sells Sherman and Auto Metal Direct and there is a big difference in price. I usually don't buy the cheapest thing I can find because I only like buying stuff once but I don't really know anything about body part manufacturers.

Summit says the Sherman uses the same gauge metal as OEM and I didn't ask about the Auto Metal Direct. I am looking at the stock style hoods.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Does anyone have any thoughts or preferences for replacement hoods? Summit sells Sherman and Auto Metal Direct and there is a big difference in price. I usually don't buy the cheapest thing I can find because I only like buying stuff once but I don't really know anything about body part manufacturers.

Summit says the Sherman uses the same gauge metal as OEM and I didn't ask about the Auto Metal Direct. I am looking at the stock style hoods.
I've got a oem hood you just have it. It's in good shape and all I just can't seem to get rid of it only asked 25bucks for it. Don' know where you at in mi but come get it it's yours

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I've got a oem hood you just have it. It's in good shape and all I just can't seem to get rid of it only asked 25bucks for it. Don' know where you at in mi but come get it it's yours

I like that even better! I am in Roscommon/Higgins Lake. I will email you.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You know what I may have jumped the gun the hood I have is 81 to 87.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I have a 79 but I really appreciate the offer.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I tried lol bummer. Sorry dude

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Auto metal direct will definitely be a better fit to oem specs, but obviously you will pay more $$$$ buying it throgh AMD.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Auto metal direct will definitely be a better fit to oem specs, but obviously you will pay more $$$$ buying it throgh AMD.

They sell AMD through Summit and it is about $100 less than the Sherman. In my limited research after posting the question,(should have done it first)it looks like AMD is a better product. I assume you have some experience with AMD?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I purchased my front fenders from AMD. I purchased a hood from LMC...it lined up like crap...then I found out it was made in China (of course). LMC woke up the next Monday morning with a return package at their front doors along with a nasty message.

You may also inquire with Tuckers, or Classic Industries.

The hood that I currently have on the truck is oem. I am fortunate to live in a non rust belt state and have access to alot of squarebody trucks being parted out. They are becoming more and more limited since becoming more popular to rebuild. It seems that most are wrecked in the front too.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I think I will order the AMD and free shipping is the reason for Summit. At $216 it doesn't seem too badly priced. Direct from AMD there is a $99 shipping charge. I am ordering new hinges too. I have the bend in the hood from worn out hinges and it is a replacement off an older truck anyway.

I would prefer an OEM hood but if you are familiar with Michigan you know that everything rusts out except the glass.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Correction: $99 truck fee for the hood delivery from Summit.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Oh yeah....East coast. ......rust is everywhere. Hell here in Az, we have to create rust. I just finished building a bench seat from an 85 squarebody tailgate and some other truck parts. I had to spray hydrogen pyroxide and salt to get the bare metal pieces to rust. If I waited for rain, it would take a few years.....lol

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I used AMD parts with decent results. Supposed to be one of the better choices

roadracerga

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Almost all sheet metal is built in same plant in China boxes are all marked and even though prices are different almost
always identical. Sherman and AMD are ok just keep in mind new metal is not exact to what GM built truck with you will most likely need to fit all panels.

John Snell

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Slightly unrelated, but I got a couple of AMD panels for my Camaro project and they were definitely better than other stuff I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04