Replace old pump or keep it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Howdy all!

In the midst of my suburban refresh the only accessory left that I haven’t replaced is the Saginaw style steering pump. I see that a lot of these new ones with the integrated reservoir have crap reviews. Should I just keep this one with the big remote reservoir?

You must be registered for see images attach

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are kits to rebuild those old Saginaws and it really isn't difficult if you have a clear workbench, good lighting and a few tools.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
There was a day when replacing something to reset a parts' life clock are gone, probably forever. Doing a repair twice or even a third time due to $#it parts is getting annoyingly common lately. Too many AH's out there thinking they can make a living selling sub standard parts out of crap materials from sloppily copied originals. Thanks eBay, etc.

Wow, I just crafted a rant without realizing it. Far out!

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Keep it. Stock a rebuild kit for future repairs.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
There was a day when replacing something to reset a parts' life clock are gone, probably forever. Doing a repair twice or even a third time due to $#it parts is getting annoyingly common lately. Too many AH's out there thinking they can make a living selling sub standard parts out of crap materials from sloppily copied originals. Thanks eBay, etc.

Wow, I just crafted a rant without realizing it. Far out!
I was just coming back to this thread to say almost the same thing.You saved me the trouble,thank you. I will repair or rebuild original parts when I can,because I usually end up with better than if I bought new. Another part of the problem is everybody buys using price point as their determining factor, instead of quality. So the quality manufacturers are having to cut corners and down grade to compete on price. It SUCKs!!!@

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I was just coming back to this thread to say almost the same thing.you saved me the trouble,thank you. I will repair or rebuild original parts when I can,because I usually end up with better than if I bought new. Another part of the problem is everybody buys using price point as their determine factory,instead of quality. So the quality manufacturers are having to cut corners and down grade to compete on price. It SUCKs!!!@
So true, and it sucks big time!

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've rebuilt the pump, hydroboost, and steering box on mine. They aren't hard, you just have to pay attention to the details. I think the steering box was the scariest out of the bunch since if you mess that up you could lock up your steering mid turn. I tested the crap out of it before I took it out for a drive. All are still holding up great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Villano