Repainting Engine Blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wire brush or acetone, reg. thinner

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would wire brush it first, or wire brush on a drill, it'll take alot off and be faster, you can always get some citristrip from wal-mart too, it works great for removing paint.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I would wire brush it first, or wire brush on a drill, it'll take alot off and be faster, you can always get some citristrip from wal-mart too, it works great for removing paint.

Ok, Got gallon of paint thinner at walmart. Gonna strip the timing cover, valve covers, and oil pan first for repainting.

I got wire brush for a drill so I'll use that.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
on those flat pieces like timing cover, valve covers, oil pan, etc. the citristrip would work great, the block and heads where they are dimpled or whatever, they'd be a bit harder unless you want to smooth it all out. Thinner will work, just be more work probably, unless you have a container that won't be effected by thinner, and have a lid, then you might let them soak a while with th elid on so it's doesn't evaporate, then wipe them off.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
on those flat pieces like timing cover, valve covers, oil pan, etc. the citristrip would work great, the block and heads where they are dimpled or whatever, they'd be a bit harder unless you want to smooth it all out. Thinner will work, just be more work probably, unless you have a container that won't be effected by thinner, and have a lid, then you might let them soak a while with th elid on so it's doesn't evaporate, then wipe them off.

ok. I had friend who said to soak the stuff in gas for a hour and it would remove the paint also.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
gas won't eat gas as good as thinner or acetone. Brake fluid, brake cleaner, or carb cleaner would do a better job then gas.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You sure paint thinner will eat it off??? Paint Thinner is just that. It thins paint for application. I'd be thinking the most it might do it fade the paint color but may not strop it.
Dave, are you aware that electolysis method also removes paint??? It will remove everything. Paint, rust, grease etc. That is why as soon as you take out an engine block or head, you must quickly dry it, and get a coat of WD-40 or something on it cuz it stripped everything off and it will start to surface right before your eyes. And I do mean litterally. It will start to rust that fast you can actually watch it start to rust if you don't get something on it. I like wd-40 because WD-40 will displace the water first and foremost, then will lube the block as a rust inhibitutor.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You sure paint thinner will eat it off??? Paint Thinner is just that. It thins paint for application. I'd be thinking the most it might do it fade the paint color but may not strop it.
Dave, are you aware that electolysis method also removes paint??? It will remove everything. Paint, rust, grease etc. That is why as soon as you take out an engine block or head, you must quickly dry it, and get a coat of WD-40 or something on it cuz it stripped everything off and it will start to surface right before your eyes. And I do mean litterally. It will start to rust that fast you can actually watch it start to rust if you don't get something on it. I like wd-40 because WD-40 will displace the water first and foremost, then will lube the block as a rust inhibitutor.

I cant use electolysis method. Lets just say I'm parting with the junkyard.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok bought some of the citristrip today at walmart. It was 10.97 for 32 oz. jug.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
^that's good stuff and works great and fast.

I think the thinner would do it, it softens the old paint up and then allows you to scrap or rub it off. it might just take longer, that citristrip works great Dave, I used it on my wheels to strip the clear and on my visor to strip the old paint. it's eco friendly, works fast, gel, so it lasts longer without drying out as fast, nothing but good from me.

I've used aircraft stripper, and had better luck with the citristrip, had no luck with the aircrap stripper.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The guy at walmart working in the paint dept tried to tell me I'd be better with that stuff that comes in a metal can (not spray can) called Stripper.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm not sure, I know the junk he's talking about, but I used citristrip, it works and works good for me.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I've used Stripper, that **** is bad ass. If you use it get some rubber gloves, it will burn your hands and any other bare skin you don't have covered.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In reference to Boyd painting engines with regular automotive paint... I've done this...once. Had a customer with an old impala that wanted the engine block paint matched to the body. Took about a week with a die grinder and sanding to get the block smooth. Tiny bit of filler to smooth it out and painted it just like a car. It held up surprisingly well. Mind you, this is a show car and sees less than 5k miles a year, but after a 3 years it was still looking good. The only way I'd ever put that much effort into painting my engine is if it was for a show car. Total waste of time otherwise iMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10