Renwed Interest In My "Square Body"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I like em. I've only mainly dealt with the silver rallys with the small center cap and beauty ring. I'd love to find a single cab dually 4x4 in pre-1980 with a/c. I had a shot at one and missed out. I have 2 squares now and they both need so much attention (translates to "money") that not much has been getting done with them.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wide steelies are always cool :popcorn:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I like the wheels and caps, too. I prefer the argent silver, but argent silver wheel paint is everywhere. I don't dislike the gold by any means; it's unique. I just like the argent silver better.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So, do those mirrors have a power feature to swing them back in parking lots, or when driving up to a Jack-in-the-Box window? :)

BigRed20

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like the wheels and caps, too. I prefer the argent silver, but argent silver wheel paint is everywhere. I don't dislike the gold by any means; it's unique. I just like the argent silver better.

Hey Jesse, Yes I like the look of the wide camper spec wheels with dog dish hubcaps recessed into the wheel. I gotta make a change and once I figure out best way to attach or weld the spring steel clips I bought online I'm going to paint the wheels GM argent silver. Maybe too common but with the hubcaps I think argent will look better. The gold was just a passing thought with some left over paint I had way back when... I wanted to get Western "Bullet" style aluminum wheels when I initially finished the build back in the 80's but never got around to it now Western is out of business. I've not found a good used set - yet. For now I think I've got old Ford camper spec wheels, 4 internal nubs. Pic below are the clips I found and pretty sure I can make them work to clip the Chevy hubcaps in place. That's the way I'm going to go, at least for now, once the weather warms up to work out in the pole barn again.

Attachments

• IMG_4729.jpg
    IMG_4729.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 103

BigRed20

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, do those mirrors have a power feature to swing them back in parking lots, or when driving up to a Jack-in-the-Box window? :)

Hey Mike, no power mirrors of course heh-heh. They're a might big but they sure did a nice job seeing next to and behind me when I had a cab-over/end-over slide in camper in the bed. They work good when pulling/backing car and equipment trailers too. Anyway for around home I just leave the mirror head pivot bar bolts snug and pull 'em in from inside the cab if I see I'm getting into a tight spot anywhere. Not too much a bother, I've gotten used to it, haven't picked off anything with them yet! Guess if I had it to do over I'd have gone with junior vs senior west-coast mirrors...

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Who makes good quality stainless mirrors? My little 4x6 mirrors just don't do the job even with no trailer.

BigRed20

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Who makes good quality stainless mirrors? My little 4x6 mirrors just don't do the job even with no trailer.

Hi Mike, my all-stainless West Coast mirrors were manufactured by a company named Velvac. If I recall 30+ years ago they were the company that GM had making their factory OE truck mirrors & kits. Mine are/was a complete kit at the time. Definitely high quality stuff, probably still are. They're still in business, maybe they could help you or recommend another vendor if not? http://www.velvac.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare