Removing paint and "polishing" it while maintaining patina?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Always start out with a higher number on the sand paper for this. You can always go to a more abrasive paper but can't but the original paint back on if you burn through.

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Always start out with a higher number on the sand paper for this. You can always go to a more abrasive paper but can't but the original paint back on if you burn through.
Oh definitely! I appreciated the heads up.

I've been working with wood and metal for years. Actually have a stack of wet/dry paper sitting next to me. Lol Just haven't really tried something like this before.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Oh definitely! I appreciated the heads up.

I've been working with wood and metal for years. Actually have a stack of wet/dry paper sitting next to me. Lol Just haven't really tried something like this before.

Can you see them now?
You must be registered for see images attach

If you can, just know that I used a roller to paint over a roll-over accident I had, yet it has a pretty cool look in my opinion.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like brush strokes for sure. My guess is that there used to be a company name and phone number on the bedsides and tailgate. Then someone tried to remove it or hide it when the truck was retired.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I haven't looked yet, but that works for me!

Some people just call it brown but it always looked more of a green to me anyway.

We called ours The Brown , so, I can see that.

Definitely has that metallic green tinted too it, though.

Cool Color!:)

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Can you see them now?

If you can, just know that I used a roller to paint over a roll-over accident I had, yet it has a pretty cool look in my opinion.
Still can't. Just weird. But when I've been doing my searching on here, it's been pretty common. They just look like broken links, both locations.

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Looks like brush strokes for sure. My guess is that there used to be a company name and phone number on the bedsides and tailgate. Then someone tried to remove it or hide it when the truck was retired.
That was my initial thought too actually. My dad did his own painter's logo on his truck so it's not far of a stretch. Especially with the locations.

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
We called ours The Brown , so, I can see that.

Definitely has that metallic green tinted too it, though.

Cool Color!:)

Exactly and thanks. [emoji16]

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
As for the bug guard, it's from the 80s, so I can't decide if I'm going to pull it off or not. Part of me enjoys keeping it as "original" as I can.

I know the feeling. There was one on my Suburban when I got it, original owner had out it on when it was a new truck. It was goofy looking, but I really liked the fact that it was kind of part of the truck so I left it there for a year or two. Then on a long road trip out west a truck kicked up what looked like a lag bolt and it broke a huge chunk off the bug guard (thankfully deflected it just enough to go over the truck instead of right into the center of the windshield where it was headed). I took it off when I got where I was going because it looked like garbage and I planned on replacing it when I got back home with another random one I had laying around from an old parts truck, but after having it off for a little while I couldn't bring myself to put it back on, looked so much better without it lol.

As for the paint mystery, it looks like the bed might not be original to the truck. It's possible sometime in the last 40+ years the old bed rotted out/got smashed and was replaced with one from a different truck that was the lighter "tan" color you see peeking through, and the "brown" was half-assed painted over it to match the rest of the truck, and that paint just didn't hold up as well as the real paint on the cab.

Either way, cool truck!

That's definitely a good theory, but it looks like it's the whole bed. Look at the 3rd picture down, the front rail under the back window has the same crumbling paint thing going on, I doubt he had lettering there

Last edited:

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wash it and shoot 3 layers of clear over it. It will improve the depth of the colors and layers just like poly over wood.
If you want to change it in the future, or repaint, you can at that point. Have fun.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's definitely a good theory, but it looks like it's the whole bed. Look at the 3rd picture down, the front rail under the back window has the same crumbling paint thing going on, I doubt he had lettering there

Yeah, I see what you mean now. It's definitely odd. But no matter if it's worn off paint, or a half ass attempt at stripping paint, it really really looks like brush strokes.

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I know the feeling. There was one on my Suburban when I got it, original owner had out it on when it was a new truck. It was goofy looking, but I really liked the fact that it was kind of part of the truck so I left it there for a year or two. Then on a long road trip out west a truck kicked up what looked like a lag bolt and it broke a huge chunk off the bug guard (thankfully deflected it just enough to go over the truck instead of right into the center of the windshield where it was headed). I took it off when I got where I was going because it looked like garbage and I planned on replacing it when I got back home with another random one I had laying around from an old parts truck, but after having it off for a little while I couldn't bring myself to put it back on, looked so much better without it lol.

As for the paint mystery, it looks like the bed might not be original to the truck. It's possible sometime in the last 40+ years the old bed rotted out/got smashed and was replaced with one from a different truck that was the lighter "tan" color you see peeking through, and the "brown" was half-assed painted over it to match the rest of the truck, and that paint just didn't hold up as well as the real paint on the cab.

Either way, cool truck!

Damn, I didn't even catch that. It not being the original bed would explain it. But it still seems very odd location wise. Obviously the easiest thing will be me sanding down a little and seeing what I find. I'm just waiting for the rain to stop.

And that's pretty much how I felt about the bug guard. They obviously do their job at least in regards to that lagbolt.

Maybe down the road when I make it more mine. But right now I'm perfectly happy driving Grandma's truck. The son was a great guy and he's happy it's getting driven again. It's been sitting for about 10 months.

Wash it and shoot 3 layers of clear over it. It will improve the depth of the colors and layers just like poly over wood.
If you want to change it in the future, or repaint, you can at that point. Have fun.

Once I cleaned up some of the rough spots, that was exactly my plan. [emoji16]

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I actually can't see your pictures for some reason. I've noticed that happens a lot for me on here. Is there something I'm missing? I've tried the Tapatalk app (paid version too) and tried using a browser on my phone.

But thanks for the info! Boiled linseed oil on a vehicle is a new one for me but I'll definitely check it out.

The owner of this forum apparently hasn't paid for the upgrade to Tapatalk that allows us all to see images, and so everything is hit and miss. It's a real shame. Only thing I don't like about this forum, because then I have to open a web browser in order to view images, and the scaling and whatnot doesn't look right

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The owner of this forum apparently hasn't paid for the upgrade to Tapatalk that allows us all to see images, and so everything is hit and miss. It's a real shame. Only thing I don't like about this forum, because then I have to open a web browser in order to view images, and the scaling and whatnot doesn't look right

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Web browser, mobile version of the site. Works perfectly :favorites37:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1