Removing paint and "polishing" it while maintaining patina?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Lol "legally join" made me laugh.

'Legally join' was a poor choice of words. What I was trying to get across was that more people should pay to support the site and not simply 'hang out'. I sure the web site owner has a regular job and a life as well. They can't do it all without some help.
Photobucket was a total disaster but I've never had any issues with Tapatalk.
I've noticed sometimes on this site that if someone can't see the photos someone will let them know, they re-post and it works. Heck, I don't know how it works and won't propose that I do. I'm not a software person.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
'Legally join' was a poor choice of words. What I was trying to get across was that more people should pay to support the site and not simply 'hang out'. I sure the web site owner has a regular job and a life as well. They can't do it all without some help.
I've noticed sometimes on this site that if someone can't see the photos someone will let them know, they re-post and it works. Heck, I don't know how it works and won't propose that I do. I'm not a software person.

I laughed at that too but knew what you ment. Thought for a second to myself am I on here illegally? Lol jk

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Thanks for reminding me Snoots to renew mine. I'm glad to pay the 25. Mine ran out a few months ago.

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Haha it's all good man, I do know what you mean. And I do agree with you, site/forum maintenance is a lot of work and does cost money. I just have the mindset of providing quality and let people see the worth. Then I'd happily throw $25-50 annually for a contributing community.

But when it's my first day here and I'm searching for truck information, and can barely find any working pictures and nothing in the new members area mentioning that it's not a Tapatalk friendly site, it just comes off as a forgotten world. And I'm happy to see that it's not, but first impressions lead to profit.

Just my 2 cents obviously.

I laughed at that too but knew what you ment. Thought for a second to myself am I on here illegally? Lol jk
Thanks for reminding me Snoots to renew mine. I'm glad to pay the 25. Mine ran out a few months ago.
Always a plus when it comes up in conversation imo. [emoji846][emoji869]

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
What the **** is taptalk? I have literally never heard of it before now. Sometimes I see the "posted from my samsung on taptalk" at the end of posts, I always assumed that was just a phone's way of branding its messages like when you get an e-mail that ends with "sent from an i-pad" or some **** like that.

Jesus all this crap makes me glad I still have an actual computer for doing computer stuff and a phone for, well, making phone calls.

(Sent from a Toshiba laptop)

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
This is the faux patina look i,m gonna try to get for my truck! :D

You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI

I never understood why people intentionally **** up the paint on their truck. Might as well hit it with a hammer a few times and let the fenders rot out while you're at it. I get it if you have a ratty old truck and think it looks cool so you leave it alone or clear over it, but to purposely make a truck look beat and old for the "style" blows my mind.

Lots of people would gladly trade their crappy looking truck for a nice one with paint. If you wan to make it look like that just find one that already looks that way, would be cheaper too. Hell, I WISH my truck had nice shiny paint that wasn't chipping and rusting through- it doesn't make me look cool I just have a ****** old truck and that's what everyone who sees it thinks too...

Wiltff

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I never understood why people intentionally **** up the paint on their truck. Might as well hit it with a hammer a few times and let the fenders rot out while you're at it. I get it if you have a ratty old truck and think it looks cool so you leave it alone or clear over it, but to purposely make a truck look beat and old for the "style" blows my mind.

Lots of people would gladly trade their crappy looking truck for a nice one with paint. If you wan to make it look like that just find one that already looks that way, would be cheaper too. Hell, I WISH my truck had nice shiny paint that wasn't chipping and rusting through- it doesn't make me look cool I just have a ****** old truck and that's what everyone who sees it thinks too...

Agreed. Still figuring what I’m going to do with mine.

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
What the **** is taptalk? I have literally never heard of it before now. Sometimes I see the "posted from my samsung on taptalk" at the end of posts, I always assumed that was just a phone's way of branding its messages like when you get an e-mail that ends with "sent from an i-pad" or some **** like that.

Jesus all this crap makes me glad I still have an actual computer for doing computer stuff and a phone for, well, making phone calls.

(Sent from a Toshiba laptop)
Haha just an app for a phone or tablet. Makes it easier for us to navigate when we're not on a computer. Pretty simple.

Well to each their own, but for me, natural patina I love. A well used and worn paintjob can be awesome. Even some rust depending. But I won't do any faux work; not my style.

Like I said above, I love the weathered look when it's naturally aged and used. I'm good with that, no intentional damage or patina.

If I have a decent paint job that can be washed, claybar'd, polished up nice, oh I'll be doing it! If not, that's cool too.
Agreed. Still figuring what I’m going to do with mine.

Looks great to me. Good color combo, the patina works for it. Nice lines. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
@RecklessWOT all of my vehicles have patina, but it's not from me or anyone else adding it. The vehicles earned it and wear it proudly. I wonder if I'll ever put fresh paint on the 81, I like the dents and wear & tear on it. Adds character.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
@RecklessWOT all of my vehicles have patina, but it's not from me or anyone else adding it. The vehicles earned it and wear it proudly. I wonder if I'll ever put fresh paint on the 81, I like the dents and wear & tear on it. Adds character.

I hear you there. I loved the way my suburban looked when I go it, was a desert truck so most of the paint above the body line was sun burned off. But after a few years in New England the surface rust got a little deeper and I was worried about it turning into real rust so I rattlecaned it just to protect the metal. Now it's not even patina, the almost 4 year old spray paint has become so ugly my only real options are either give up on it and let it be a complete turd, or take the time and paint it up real pretty. I choose pretty lol

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L

since the front on my truck is starting to patine(?)loll....and my old texas bed too...but not in the same color...i just try to macth the blue bed to fit my already used front mat faded white cab! :D...by the way a lot of young fellas truker said to me: hey don't paint it! just stay like this it wayyy cool!...hummm yeah but i'm old and vintage! lolll so a like to match the crappy front section! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20