Removing Old Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Hello friends.

I'm approaching legal status for my 79 c10, which means I'll piddle with it here and there.

One of things I wanted to do is get rid of this stupid red, rolled on house paint and get down to presumably what's a sun faded Cardinal Red underneath.

Any ideas on how to do such a thing?

It's very poorly prepped so it wouldn't be super hard to remove... it does appear like enamel

I don't care if I hurt the cardinal red too much, I just want to try my hand at getting to the OEM color.
Appearance doesn't really matter, it's not a princess or show truck
Pics attached so you can see what I'm working with.

You must be registered for see images attach

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I'd start with trying different thinners and see what happens.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Ever try anything thats for removing graffiti?

I haven't, but both you and Dan's recommendations seem like a Good starting place

I know nothing about paint, or paint removers for automotive.... so forgive me if yall think this might be very entry level questions

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Looks like the original red is burned through and is rusted/patina in several areas. Its likely that even if you get the top coat off with minimal damage, the original paint underneath is probably trashed. Good luck and keep us updated with photos, I'm curious to see how it turns out.

I know nothing about paint, or paint removers for automotive....
FYI aircraft or automotive paint stripper will curdle and destroy both layers, so unless you are prepared to completely strip it and repaint don't try these.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like the original red is burned through and is rusted/patina in several areas. Its likely that even if you get the top coat off with minimal damage, the original paint underneath is probably trashed. Good luck and keep us updated with photos, I'm curious to see how it turns out.

FYI aircraft or automotive paint stripper will curdle and destroy both layers, so unless you are prepared to completely strip it and repaint don't try these.
This is why I suggested the graffiti remover (which works really good on latex - fwiw). Cant see any sanding without getting into whats under it.

Could just call it patina and learn to love it. lol

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, I think that unless you want to bubble off all the paint I would stay away from chemical strippers like airplane remover (always loved that name).

I like the idea of seeing what happens with lacquer thinner maybe on some steel wool. You'd be surprised at what that can remove.

I think if it were me, I would get out the da sander and smooth it all down and create some featheredge between the color coats (and the metal) with some 80 or 120 grit and see if I like the smooth patina that it leaves behind.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Oh if it popped rust spots thru the faded Cardinal Red, that would be AWESOME.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh if it popped rust spots thru the faded Cardinal Red, that would be AWESOME.
If you want / like that then I would go with the sander, and then possibly hit the rusty spots with some boiled linseed oil (just google "patina treatment with boiled linseed oil") to help season the rusty spots and perhaps slow them down.

Last edited:

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's an example video using BLO for patina. Didn't watch the whole thing but there are plenty of examples of patina treatment with BLO and mineral spirits.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Ive been removing primer from my 74 K5 Blazer every weekend for 2 years. I use a product called Citristrip. Its not harsh and works very well on a top coat of paint that's just not quality or very thick. I put it on using a paint brush in an area I can pay attention to time was and let it sit for 5 min. I then use a drill with a round bristle attachment and hit that paint good...WEAR SAFETY GLASSES...cause paints gona fly. Then to stop the chem reaction I hit it with water from the hose. Here are some shots of the Blazer.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5062.jpg
    IMG_5062.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 56

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Maybe this weekend I'll pull my tailgate off since it's already chipping all over and try a few things and see what happens,

Again, this Is a rare opportunity to try my hand on paint that wont me cry if it gets damaged

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Here's an example video using BLO for patina. Didn't watch the whole thing but there are plenty of examples of patina treatment with BLO and mineral spirits.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've heard of fellows using linseed oil to stop the rust and make it shine

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe this weekend I'll pull my tailgate off since it's already chipping all over and try a few things and see what happens,

Again, this Is a rare opportunity to try my hand on paint that wont me cry if it gets damaged
That's funny. I actually bought my rusty c10 partly as a "learning platform" for a lot of body work and paint items that I wasn't willing to try on a chevelle I've been restoring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey