Removing Floor Fresh Air Vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ 3

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
On my 1979 Truck I am missing the flapper door on the driver side and my passenger side gasket is worn out.

Is there some trick to remove the panel with the air vent without cracking the panel? I broke the panels from the donor truck and I really don't want to break the panels from my truck.

I have all the screws out, the panels are fully loose and wiggle but they will not come free from the truck.

Any Ideas?

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
I personally haven't taken these off but it could be like door panels with plastic clips holding it on and the screws. I might be talking out of my ass here.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I posted an answer here last night but it was totally wrong - if you saw it, ignore it.

The pins only fasten the flap to the kick plate. They would not prevent you from removing the kickplate from the wall.

I was definitely shooting it out my ass.

Last edited:

AJ 3

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
There seems to be a second lip around the inboard side of the vent that is holding me up. It almost seems that the lip is bigger than the hole in the body. I am just kind of afraid to pry on the vent with a screw driver or something. I have tried pushing the vent up and pull out the bottom or pushing the vent down and pulling at the top so far nothing. I really cant slide the vent forward or backward just up and down.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This time I went and did some research before replying.

Your theory - that one of the lips is bigger - is correct.

The images below show how much bigger the inner lip is. It only extended outward on the top. The sides and bottom edges are exactly the same as the outer lip.

Anyway, here are some photos that may help you visualize what is holding you up:

You must be registered for see images attach

Understand that the images above show a kickplate from an 81-87 series, but they are most likely similar to what you are struggling with.

BTW - I notice you are in Michigan. Are you working in a heated garage or outside? Reason I ask is; molded plastic body parts are much easier to work (and don't shatter as easily) with when nice and warm. If you are working outside, try softening up the immediate area of the kickplate with a heatgun before you try to pull it.

If you don't have a heat gun, put an electric space heater in the cab. Point it toward the kickplate and let it warm up. Then, right before you try to pull it out, take a hair dryer (put it on the highest setting) and run it around the perimeter of the flap opening. Do that for 5 -10 minutes - and then try to pull the lip through the steel opening.

The heat will give the lip some flexibility and help prevent shattering the plastic.

I think that the inner lip is supposed to be bigger to prevent it from going through the opening. Only the outer lip is meant to be on the outside of the steel. Apparently, at some time in the past, the inner has also been jammed through the hole.

Last edited:

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
I removed them on my 1984. They do come out a little tricky. Once you have all of the bolts and screws that hold the panel just pull out on the bottom then pull down and out. You have to remove the E-brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ 3

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Thanks for the pictures I can see how the extra lips are holding me up.

I have a large pole barn here in Michigan that I work in. With it being larger than my home and with no insulation in the walls, it is not heated. I am going to try the space heater in the cab tomorrow. I will also try to pull out on the bottom then pull down and out.

Thanks for the tips
Wish me luck

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ 3

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
I got the vents out with no damage. The interior carpet was the only thing keeping me from removing the vents. With the carpet out of the way and some wiggling the vents came right out. Thanks for everyone's help

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Yw