Removal of emissions....or not...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yes most definately, I used bolts on the others. pipe plugs work too.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Well I decided to tackle the AIR tube in manifold thing today since I had a nasty exhaust leak anyway. I finally got the passenger side manifold off without breaking any bolts. Once I got the manifold out I found that it's going to have to head to the machine shop before I can ever put it back on. I figure the machine shop bill is going to run me half the price of a set of shorty headers w/o the AIR tubes. Can anyone recommend any shorty headers that aren't going to cost me more than I paid for my truck??

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
if it was small block I'd say hit ebay for some stainless shortys, it's what I run and love em.

maybe they have some anyways, worth a look. if not try jegs or summit.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I just checked out summit and found that shorty's for my big block are a lot higher than long tubes for some reason. I just went ahead and ordered the long tubes, a new set of mufflers ,and some 2.5" tubing. Hopefully that'll be a little better than the stock manifolds and exhaust. I'm just dreading putting them on. I bet I'll have my motor lifted half out of the truck before I get these long tubes wedged in there...

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
They might go in easier from underneath if you can get the truck high enough.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
By the way I forgot to ask. My truck runs a serpentine from the crank to the smog, and than the alternator, and possibly the water pump. Everything else runs on V belts. Is anyone else familiar with the setup up I'm talking about that has ditched the smog pump?? If you have can you remember the belt you used??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
By the way I forgot to ask. My truck runs a serpentine from the crank to the smog, and than the alternator, and possibly the water pump. Everything else runs on V belts. Is anyone else familiar with the setup up I'm talking about that has ditched the smog pump?? If you have can you remember the belt you used??

I ditched it and put on a shorter belt, I'll be able to get the # tomorrow.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
That would be great if you could get that belt number for me. It would save me a lot of guess work.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Well I managed to get my left side manifold and ALL of the emissions off of my truck today. That damn tube that runs behind the heads, over the bell housing is really stuffed in there!! Anyway, After I got manifold off I found a little stainless tag and figured out that I bought a truck that just had a new GM Performance 454 dropped in it less than 10k miles ago. That's the best thing I could have ever found throughout this exhaust mess.
Also when I started to take my manifold off my O2 sensor just crumbled. If that wasn't working properly my truck would be running rich and getting worse than usually mileage right??

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
this 1986 gmc pick up..i bought back in july.some one changed everything over..

in 2005..454 v8..hooker long tube header-to mufflers..aluminum intake and 4bbl carb..both edelbrock..i think the truck.was 305tbi with computer.and all sensors and smog crap..i guess they put computers in trucks in 86

they left some un pluged wires.at the back of the firewall..that looks bad.i am going to clean it up..if i was doing it.since.it is a federal government thing.i would of ran two open cats.they are built better then mufflers.

i think they flow better too..with trucks.they built some with snog crap.like pumps and tubes and some with out.so as far as inspections.if it is all removed and looks clean.they want look your truck up.the cats ate the biggest thing.

if you were in a state that did the smog check.i guess that crap is in a book.i think you would be screwed.as far as that passing..my truck runs like a scalded dog.with no government controlled crap.i love it..but if it is 25 years old..tag it as antique.then you are in the clear.on everything..

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
unless it's really an 87 or somebody switched it, they didn't have a tbi 86, or it shouldn't be. From what I heard and saw tbi started in square bodys in 87.

As for computers, yes even back to 84 had a "computer" which did mostly nothing, just electronic spark control for the dist. if it sensed a knock from the knock sensor it'd retard the timing to stop the spark knock.

Now some later trucks like 86 had a ccc or computer controlled carb setup.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Ever get a chance to get that belt number for me?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
unless it's really an 87 or somebody switched it, they didn't have a tbi 86, or it shouldn't be. From what I heard and saw tbi started in square bodys in 87.

As for computers, yes even back to 84 had a "computer" which did mostly nothing, just electronic spark control for the dist. if it sensed a knock from the knock sensor it'd retard the timing to stop the spark knock.

Now some later trucks like 86 had a ccc or computer controlled carb setup.

Actually ESC, Electronic Spark Control, I do beleive started as early as 81. As you mention, it is a computer and a knock sensor on the passenger side of the block threaded directly into the block. All that system did was allow max timing advance, and if a ping or detonation was detected is retarded the timing temporarily. The CCC system, aka Computer Command Control was in as early as 84's in CA emmisions equipped trucks that I am certain of, and maybe even back a little further like 82 or 83, but I think it was 84 for CA. Before that, GM had the C4 system, aka Computer Controlled Catylitic Converter, and it was on CA emmision cars as far back I believe as 79 on some models but not all. C and K trucks did not get the C4 system. But, S series trucks has either the C4 or CCC as early as 82 in CA, not exactly sure which system it was since I can't recall if the S series had the Feedback carb on it or not. As you can tell, I'm not 100% positive on the years each system started, but CA got those computers earlier than 49 States vehicles did. ESC though was all 50 states and farily certain it was 81.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I wasn't sure on the years, all I know is that our 84 had it and I figured 84 or older started them. then the 86 we had it had the feedback carb setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dixierj