RECOVERED AFTER STOLEN..HOW TO PREVENT THIS AGAIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Someone on another site just posted about one of those column covers / clam shells (no idea of same brand or retailer) and showed how it could be quickly defeated by inserting a large screwdriver in the seam where it closes together. It popped right open.

Next chance I get, I’ll play with mine and see if I can force it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If your truck is automagic trans, get a remote start/alarm. They have an ignition kill system that if the alarm is triggered it just won't run. You would have to be away from the truck for an extended period of time and everyone who heard the alarm turn their backs, and the thieves would have a lot of work to do to make it run. I had one on a Tacoma, I put a long throw jamb switch under the hood and even put one in the jamb of the tailgate and tied them into the system. You can even put one in the jamb of your gas door. And of course remote start just kicks ass in the winter. The guy I bought the Taco from was so confident in the system he left a key in the ignition and just carried the fob with him. And it had a 2-way remote. If someone diddles with the truck the remote sounds off like an alarm too. Many of them are really long range too, I could start my truck from my desk in my job. Some advertise 2000 feet range.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hey guys,
Great story...
Friday night I watch my truck drive off with its new owner ....against my will because I was sleeping and I heard my truck fire up as it was being stolen. less than 24 hours later I'm picking my truck up in front of the dude's house with my trailer still attached.

Thank you to Craigslist and the C10 club for spotting it. I'm really glad to have it back

Here's the whole reason for my post
I had a steering wheel Club, a brake pedal Club, the stock steering wheel lock was in good working order. No broken glass they did not damage the door locks but they did break the steering column and cut the clubs off.
My thought is there must be an updated or more theft proof version of our steering columns in the aftermarket.
Aside from all the secret disabler things that we should be doing that we probably shouldn't mention here I'd like to know what you guys recommend specifically for the steering column. I'd like to get something that maybe would be extremely difficult to steal or break. I thought of even backdating the steering column putting the switches on the dash.
Thanks guys and gals I look forward to your responses

Install a hidden switch that disables the ignition spark or fuel pump....and install a removable steering wheel. If that doesn't work...a little c4 with a pressure switch under the driver seat and full coverage insurance. Total loss of vehicle AND thief...problem solved.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Here is 2 I made. I know it wont stop everyone but it will slow them down.
my K5
You must be registered for see images attach

My k10 has this one for the clutch pedal.
Nothing a cheap pair of bolt cutters cant remove. That will only slow down thieves for 2 minutes. Real car thieves will find a way. Sorry to say it, but with that apparatus, your vehicle can still be stolen....with a tow dolly. If a thief wants it, they will take it. Best option is to insure the piss out of it for full replacement value plus 15%. Let the thieves take it and buy another vehicle with the funds.

Last edited:

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Let's see if I can explain this without a picture.

Cut the wire going to the HEI or the coil (not the one going to the points). Install an in line fuse about 20 amps.

Run a wire to a hidden switch to ground. This wire attaches to the in line fuse closest to the HEI.

Flip the switch when you leave the car.

Bad guy tries to start car. Fuse blows. Now there is no power going to the HEI.

Even if bad guy finds the switch, he needs a new fuse as well.

Cheap and effective unless he tows it.

Keep lots of fuses in the truck. Guarantee you will forget to throw the switch and blow the fuse. Several times. I had this setup on my '63 409, and I went thru a LOT of fuses. Sold the 409 in '70 and have been crying ever since.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
Engine Size
Could also do this to the starter wire as well. Use DPST switch.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
buddy of mine has a quick disconnect steering wheel in his civic.

hard to drive off with a car when there is no wheel lol.

that column box looks stupid AF lol. looks no better than a club to me. also id assume many of you guys know this but check your trucks to be sure. many of these trucks are known to be able to start without a key. you just hop in and turn the bit you put the key into. the tumblers often wear out and its as if the key is always in. ive seen it on multiple occasions.

That's one option, but you can still clamp a pair of vice grips on the shaft and steer it that way.

Grant used to make a removable steering wheel setup, it came with a die cast cover that would lock in place once the steering wheel was unlatched. It was a pretty neat setup and wasn't too much of a pain to use. I don't know if they still make it though.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I read the thread and thought "car alarm", duh?

AND worthy of note here is the FACT that if you (or anyone) should SHOOT somebody over ANY property, you (or them) WILL go to jail, no questions asked.

Discharging a firearm at a person or otherwise brandishing to defend property is strictly verboten as in never and for no reason, ever.

Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. You have NO RIGHT of property.
Don't forget it neither.

Hope this helps! :)

http://firearmtrainingstore.com/about-us/blog/what-is-brandishing/

Last edited:

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
Engine Size
That was emphasized over and over in our concealed weapons training class.

AS well as if you shoot someone, your life as you know it will change. Both emotionally and financially. You will probably be arrested until you prove self defense.

In other words, if you are ever in a life threatening situation, you are screwed. Either the above or you are wounded or worse. The best is to TRY to talk your way out or run or hide....

Waiting for comments......

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
That's one option, but you can still clamp a pair of vice grips on the shaft and steer it that way.

Grant used to make a removable steering wheel setup, it came with a die cast cover that would lock in place once the steering wheel was unlatched. It was a pretty neat setup and wasn't too much of a pain to use. I don't know if they still make it though.

I am not sure if it is a Grant product, but there are a few companies that make quick release steering wheels that also have a locking cover that installas over the steering shaft. Summit and Jegs have them.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I read the thread and thought "car alarm", duh?

AND worthy of note here is the FACT that if you (or anyone) should SHOOT somebody over ANY property, you (or them) WILL go to jail, no questions asked.

Discharging a firearm at a person or otherwise brandishing to defend property is strictly verboten as in never and for no reason, ever.

Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. You have NO RIGHT of property.
Don't forget it neither.

Hope this helps! :)

http://firearmtrainingstore.com/about-us/blog/what-is-brandishing/
Well...

In Arizona (an open carry state)....if you feel that your life is in danger, you can shoot in self defense. If you witness a violent crime such as a carjacking...you also have the legal right to shoot on behalf of the victim. Just be sure to shoot them in the front and unload the clip.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
That was emphasized over and over in our concealed weapons training class.

AS well as if you shoot someone, your life as you know it will change. Both emotionally and financially. You will probably be arrested until you prove self defense.

In other words, if you are ever in a life threatening situation, you are screwed. Either the above or you are wounded or worse. The best is to TRY to talk your way out or run or hide....

Waiting for comments......

I was involved in a home bugulary. I used my handgun in self defense. I saw no jail time. Financial burden...nope...emotional burden...nope. I was protecting myself, my wife and kids. I dropped the guy and I have never felt bad about it. Hell, I should have gone after his survivors for the ammo reimbursement and the repairs to the walls in my house.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
It sucks to say but there is no way to prevent theft on the older trucks. It's just a risk unfortunately.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Please don't get me wrong with my last post. I would not wish anyone to be put into a situation like I was. In a situation like that, a quick decision had to be made. That decision was to protect the well being of my loved ones. If it were to ever happen again, I can honestly say that I would react the same way. I don't regret what happened in the least. The intruder made the wrong choice, I did not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969