RECOVERED AFTER STOLEN..HOW TO PREVENT THIS AGAIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denisj

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 High Sierra Heavy Half
Engine Size
Hey guys,
Great story...
Friday night I watch my truck drive off with its new owner ....against my will because I was sleeping and I heard my truck fire up as it was being stolen. less than 24 hours later I'm picking my truck up in front of the dude's house with my trailer still attached.

Thank you to Craigslist and the C10 club for spotting it. I'm really glad to have it back

Here's the whole reason for my post
I had a steering wheel Club, a brake pedal Club, the stock steering wheel lock was in good working order. No broken glass they did not damage the door locks but they did break the steering column and cut the clubs off.
My thought is there must be an updated or more theft proof version of our steering columns in the aftermarket.
Aside from all the secret disabler things that we should be doing that we probably shouldn't mention here I'd like to know what you guys recommend specifically for the steering column. I'd like to get something that maybe would be extremely difficult to steal or break. I thought of even backdating the steering column putting the switches on the dash.
Thanks guys and gals I look forward to your responses

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just installed a hidden starter switch on mine this week

It’s wired inline with the regular column switch. So you have to hit them both at the same time
And hidden cleverly so that you passenger or even someone standing next to the open driver door wouldn’t see it

I guess they could Hotwire it under the hood and jump the starter
But breaking the Column won’t get it

Glad you found your truck back

It must be really nice if they went to all that work to steal it

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
I've seen a clasp that goes all around the steering column also protecting the key, but not for a while.

I need something myself.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Where's the part of the story where you take a hammer to the thieving shitbags fingers, to teach him a lesson about the property of others?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Or the part where the police arrest the dude for grand theft? finger prints etc.

Glad you got your truck back and so quick too. Definitely rare.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Will post wiring diagram for homemade security system.

Without the horn beeping because nobody cares anyway.

Still working on details.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
glad you got it back and in one piece.

i used to run a switch to the fuel pump in my civic.

not an option for most these trucks with mechanical fuel pumps.

id say a hidden switch to the ignition system would be a good option. also ,though i dont normally see a use for them, you could get an alarm system. thing about it in your case is it would have hopefully gone off before the truck started and woke you up. this way you could have shot the bastard instead of watching him drive off with your ****.

one fact about theft deterrents and stuff is that if someone wants your vehicle bad enough they will find a way to steal it. just make it hard for them and most will just move on. as for steering wheel clubs i dont like them as they obviously are too easy to get around and just tend to let thieves know you have something of value since you want to protect it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
See that red guy? It’s a metal clamshell that goes around the whole steering column. Got it from eBay for around $50. Worth it. It’s a glaring visual deterrent, and I think it would take a while to deal with it. I’ve parked in the French Quarter, the hood, etc. with no problems. I also travel with another theft deterrent sitting on my passenger seat, but that’s a topic for a different thread. The club, I’m sorry to say, is outdated. My mom lost the key to the one on her Caprice, and a sabre saw killed it in a few minutes. I’ve seen similar demonstrations on the brake club. Unless they want to tow it off, this is the way to go. If you want something else, I’d do a kill switch to the coil if carbed or a fuel pump kill switch if EFI.

You must be registered for see images attach

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Like a truck chastity belt.
"Keep your hands off the virtue of my truck!"
:favorites13:

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
See that red guy? It’s a metal clamshell that goes around the whole steering column. Got it from eBay for around $50. Worth it. It’s a glaring visual deterrent, and I think it would take a while to deal with it. I’ve parked in the French Quarter, the hood, etc. with no problems. I also travel with another theft deterrent sitting on my passenger seat, but that’s a topic for a different thread. The club, I’m sorry to say, is outdated. My mom lost the key to the one on her Caprice, and a sabre saw killed it in a few minutes. I’ve seen similar demonstrations on the brake club. Unless they want to tow it off, this is the way to go. If you want something else, I’d do a kill switch to the coil if carbed or a fuel pump kill switch if EFI.

You must be registered for see images attach
Looks like have a thief stopper on the passenger seat too

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Someone on another site just posted about one of those column covers / clam shells (no idea of same brand or retailer) and showed how it could be quickly defeated by inserting a large screwdriver in the seam where it closes together. It popped right open.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thats one easy way i would know in an instant if my square was being heisted.... true dual flowmasters and short run 3" pipe will wake me easily. Unless it was hooked up n hauled. Great to see you caught it quick and recovered it before more damage could be done. How far away was it taken? Also great to see other square owners keepin the peepers open for fellow owners, :waytogo: to them.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Totally off topic but want to mention great profile pic!

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
buddy of mine has a quick disconnect steering wheel in his civic.

hard to drive off with a car when there is no wheel lol.

that column box looks stupid AF lol. looks no better than a club to me. also id assume many of you guys know this but check your trucks to be sure. many of these trucks are known to be able to start without a key. you just hop in and turn the bit you put the key into. the tumblers often wear out and its as if the key is always in. ive seen it on multiple occasions.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
buddy of mine has a quick disconnect steering wheel in his civic.

hard to drive off with a car when there is no wheel lol.

that column box looks stupid AF lol. looks no better than a club to me. also id assume many of you guys know this but check your trucks to be sure. many of these trucks are known to be able to start without a key. you just hop in and turn the bit you put the key into. the tumblers often wear out and its as if the key is always in. ive seen it on multiple occasions.
My dads 73 never had a key. It was manual to auto swapped so he hooked the clutch pedal switch to a toggle. No flip no start. My 78 you can pull the keys while running but once u shut it off you cant turn it back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tater81