Recent Changes to the Forum Index

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Some of you may have noticed some changes to the Forum Index in the last few days.
For the most part, other than some touching up and moving of threads that need to be done, the changes are complete.

Purpose of Changes
Eliminate confusion on what threads go where in which forum category. Make threads easier to find either by browsing and by using the search feature. Allow more worthy Sticky threads in their respective Parent Forum, or Child Forum.

What Changes Were Made
Some parent forums were eliminated, some were joined together and child forums created for better organization.

Brakes, Steering and Alignment, Street Suspension and Lifted Suspension left us with 3 different Parent Suspension forums and none really designated factory suspension. So all 3 Parent Forums were combined into 1 parent forum Suspension, Steering & Brakes with child forums specified for Lifted & Off-Raod, Lowered & Street and Brakes. Now all factory suspension and steering topics can go in the parent category and any topics related to lifted or lowered suspension can go in the child forums, and any Brake topics can go in the Brake forum.

Audio & Electronics was changed to Electical and Audio. This was done being that Electronics is things like GPS, TV's, Game Consoles etc, and didn't specify Electrical topics so many of Electrical topics ended up on other generic forums like Tech Discussion, Tech Info or some other somewhat related forum and we have Electrical threads all over the place. This has led to several duplicate or repeating threads. Now there is Stereo & Entertainment Systems so that all the Audio topics are all in one forum along with other entertainment topics to include Stereo, TV's, Game Ports, CB, Disc Changers, Blue Tooth, PDA, Cell Phone integration and MP3 players. A child forum Retro-Fit & Aftermarket Accessories has been added for things like spot lights, alarm systems, HID lights, driving and fog lights, upgraded alternators or dual batteries and other electrical items and systems. We have so many threads just on Instrumentation and Gauges a child forum Gauge, Speedo & Instrumentation was created to keep all of these threads and topics together. Speedo was mentioned to specify that discussion to be included here with instrumentation even though it's not electrical in most cases of Squarebodies, instead of with Transmission. Any other electrical topics that don't fit these electrical child forums will go in the parent forum.

Interior, Exterior, and Differential & Driveline have had child forums added that are self explanatory. Some of the child forums were added because they are popular topics with many threads scattered and duplicated with in the forum and not found as they became dated. Some child forums were added just to specify, this is where certain topics go so they aren't put in several different categories then those who are looking for that information can't seem to find it because it's not all kept together in one place.

Tech Info forum for write-ups was eliminated. Write-Ups can now go in their proper related forum rather than have some of every topic in the forum. Those write-ups that some have taken quite a bit of time to put together are invaluable information that many times was never found by someone browsing a category but didn't know to check the Tech Info forum and wade thru 20 different topics of 50 different threads in 2 or 3 pages. We also have the Tech Discussion forum that still exists for other Technical discussions that don't fit any of the Parent or Child Forum categories. It was almost as if we had duplicate parent forums with Tech Info and Tech Discussion. I have already moved all the Tech Info threads into their proper Parent or Child forum before the forum was eliminated. No threads were deleted at all. They were just moved.

The changes did not bring on any threads whatsoever being deleted. We've not lost any info, threads or posts at all. So if you can't find a thread, simply look in its related forum by topic and it will still be there. If you need help finding an older thread or one you'd visit often, just ask any of the 3 Mods or myself and we'll help you get to it, but be assured it's here and didn't get deleted.

There is still some thread moving going to be going on, mostly in the Tech Discussion forum. These threads will be moved out and put into their proper forum. For example... If there is a Tech Discussion about your heater blower motor, that thread will be moved to Interior - Heat and AC. If there is a Tech discussion about wheel offset, it will soon be moved to Exterior - Wheels and Tires.

The Squarebody Reference Library has been left alone and no changes were made, and no changes will be made. That information will stay put because of the type of information that it is, and how it's complied. The information in that forum is exactly what the forum is titled for, REFERENCE. You want to know an RPO Code, or an Axle Code, looking for an info packet or your year specific model, that's the place to go for REFERENCE information.

So carry on as usual. If you have any other suggestions to help keep the forum better organized as far as Categories and Sub Categories, bring it up here for discussion.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I see what ya did there and in one hand it makes sense but on the other hand it's made it 100 times harder to locate some of the more important write ups amongst some of the clutter :/

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
it's made it 100 times harder to locate some of the more important write ups amongst some of the clutter :/

This COULD BE partially true. Any form of organization will only work if members participate and use it right. Don't forget Stickies and Forum Search. With threads properly categorized finding threads should be much easier. Granted, we're not going to make every write-up thread a Sticky, but the more valuable ones will be. For example. How to change a dome light bulb, WILL NOT be a Sticky. You might have to use Forum Search in Electrical and Audio to find that one.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just my 2 cents. I think any forum with 10 or more stickies is crazy. A sub forum in that forum needs to be created and called helpful stickies.

Captcorvette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Capt
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK30
Engine Size
What happened to the lounge? And funny things from the internet?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
What happened to the lounge? And funny things from the internet?
Lounge is still there as is the thread you refer to. We may need to ask @HotRodPC or @Shaggy to see why you may not have access to it now but you did previously. I wonder if they put a post restriction on the Lounge.

And why did you bump a 7 year old thread to ask this question?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lounge is still there as is the thread you refer to. We may need to ask @HotRodPC or @Shaggy to see why you may not have access to it now but you did previously. I wonder if they put a post restriction on the Lounge.

And why did you bump a 7 year old thread to ask this question?
No doubt. For the love of god.... Dave Bell flashbacks going on in my head now. Help me !!!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
No doubt. For the love of god.... Dave Bell flashbacks going on in my head now. Help me !!!
exactly what went through my head as i scrolled back up the thread. o_O

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I dont think he was around when I joined.. but am I reading that right, that he had 5600 posts and only 10 likes?!?!

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I dont think he was around when I joined.. but am I reading that right, that he had 5600 posts and only 10 likes?!?!
Well to be completely fair, the "like" feature was introduced after Dave quit posting often. Although I don't think that would have changed the stats much. Nice guy though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well to be completely fair, the "like" feature was introduced after Dave quit posting often. Although I don't think that would have changed the stats much. Nice guy though.
100% True Statement there. And if we had a dislike feature, he'd be in first place. Guy had a way of getting on the last nerves.

If you ever want to make the OG guys cringe, just bring up "Bucket Truck".

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
100% True Statement there. And if we had a dislike feature, he'd be in first place. Guy had a way of getting on the last nerves.

If you ever want to make the OG guys cringe, just bring up "Bucket Truck".
I thought it was "boom truck".

He frustrated a lot of people with that priceless '67 Ford pickup too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes