Rebuild or replace starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
what do those of you who’ve rebuilt starters think based on the photos? Some of the contacts are pretty worn. Starter is from a mid 90s truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
A couple more

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Depends on the brand of starter. If it is just typical Autozone unit I'd take it back to them and see if you can exhange or warranty replace it and if it is already one ofthe non-lifetime units maybe you can exchange it and upgrade at the same time. They might only last a year or two, maybe worse if you have headers, but it seems like even the AC Delco stuff is made in China now too, so your mileage may vary. I'm not sure if you can even buy the rebuild parts economically any more to be honest. I say go with what your budget can afford for the most part.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Depends on the brand of starter. If it is just typical Autozone unit I'd take it back to them and see if you can exhange or warranty replace it and if it is already one ofthe non-lifetime units maybe you can exchange it and upgrade at the same time. They might only last a year or two, maybe worse if you have headers, but it seems like even the AC Delco stuff is made in China now too, so your mileage may vary. I'm not sure if you can even buy the rebuild parts economically any more to be honest. I say go with what your budget can afford for the most part.
I thinks it’s an oem starter, which would be my only reason to rebuild. If you think it’s aftermarket, I’ll just buy a new mini starter and save my time.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is there a starter and alternator shop near you? You could always send it to me, and I could put it in the shop for you. Shipping might sting a little. Not sure.

agreiner

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I thinks it’s an oem starter, which would be my only reason to rebuild. If you think it’s aftermarket, I’ll just buy a new mini starter and save my time.
What is the mini starter I keep reading about? I've seen that it's a 4.3 starter, but the nose cone is smaller on those.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
In all honesty, it's re-buildable.
For the time and effort spent, that's up to you.

If it were mine and I were to rebuild it, I would bench it afterwards as a backup.
Otherwise I'd put it back together and use it as a core.

Back to your issue, the brushes and contacts show a bit of wear but can be cleaned up with emory cloth.
Same for the stator.
I'd put a little dab of bearing grease on the bearing.

The copper showing on the rotor wires concerns me. If there was too much end play they could touch the case and short out. Even intermittently, that would cause much grief.

The bendix gear teeth show a lot of wear.
The contact button on the solenoid can be turned 180 degrees and be good as new.

Since it is a 20+ year old starter, I believe you'd be better off using it as a core, IMHO.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

mini starters aren't that much more than what you'll get local. You'll have to wait a couple days for shipping though. But your arms will love you when you install the mini. I'm sure you've seen the many posts about DBElectrical starters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k5inAJ