Rear Park Brake Cable Too Short w/4inch Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OK, got another challenge with this 77 K10 resto. Installed a 4 inch Tuff Country lift with new EZ ride springs front and back. And now the rear park brake cable that goes between the drum backing plate and the frame bracket is too short. Tuff Country tells me they've never experienced this before. The cables are brand new. Has anyone experienced this before?

Here are couple pics. Note that I can get the cable to just about fit if I route it (incorrectly) over the top of the spring. But it is about 1 inch too short with the proper (below the spring) routing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I had the same issue when I did a 6" lift on my K5 in the 90's. I used a piece of L channel that would drop the cable down 3-4". I believe I then ran the cable under the spring. Two holes were drilled in either end of the channel. I put a bolt in the upper hole that would attach through the hole in the frame for the original parking brake cable (your photo #2). I then, mounted the cable through the lower hole. Never had any issue with it bending or not being able to engage the brakes.

If the intermediate cable is too short after the modification I described, you can use one from a long bed and shorten it to fit. There should be enough adjustment in it though.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
yeah I don't recall needed them on a 4" lift but they make drop down brackets for the taller lifts. easy enough to make some yourself. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS