1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Park Brake Cable Too Short w/4inch Lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by dhenderz, Feb 11, 2019.

1. dhenderz

dhenderz Member

First Name:
    Dennis
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    OK, got another challenge with this 77 K10 resto. Installed a 4 inch Tuff Country lift with new EZ ride springs front and back. And now the rear park brake cable that goes between the drum backing plate and the frame bracket is too short. Tuff Country tells me they've never experienced this before. The cables are brand new. Has anyone experienced this before?

Here are couple pics. Note that I can get the cable to just about fit if I route it (incorrectly) over the top of the spring. But it is about 1 inch too short with the proper (below the spring) routing.

upload_2019-2-11_17-45-16.png

upload_2019-2-11_17-45-42.png

upload_2019-2-11_17-46-0.png

2. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    I had the same issue when I did a 6" lift on my K5 in the 90's. I used a piece of L channel that would drop the cable down 3-4". I believe I then ran the cable under the spring. Two holes were drilled in either end of the channel. I put a bolt in the upper hole that would attach through the hole in the frame for the original parking brake cable (your photo #2). I then, mounted the cable through the lower hole. Never had any issue with it bending or not being able to engage the brakes.

If the intermediate cable is too short after the modification I described, you can use one from a long bed and shorten it to fit. There should be enough adjustment in it though.