Rear End Custom Shock Mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Moskowitz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
6.6L Duramax
I dont have shocks yet, complete ground up build, so lengths will get measured once it's all in. Stock 1 ton rear spring pack. Just trying to get an idea of how I can mount them for best driving manners since the mounts will be completely custom as well

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Cool beans, just wanted to inform you so you didn't waste money on anything having to repurchase stuff. I know on my LS build I've had to do enough parts swap, if one more thing goes wrong I'm going to just start doing that insane joker laugh. When I get around to my 14 bolt swap I just decided to buy a spring pad and shock tab kit so I can just change the axle to use the stock locations (since the k5 spring pads and shock mounts are in a different spots anyways). I'm just going to use some 1/8 plate and reinforce the mounting pounts on the K5 frame.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
On my K30 I'm running the stock rear springs with a 3" block and 3" Tuff Country HD springs in the front. I ended up going with shocks normally spec'd for a 4-6" lift (1/2 & 3/4 ton) in the rear as the mounting points for the K30 shocks were around 1.5-2" longer than those for a 3/4 ton. For the rear I used Tuff Country SX8000 shock #61301.

Here's a couple of charts for Tuff Coutry and related lifts and parts. On the second link if you go to page 44 of their catalog, it lists the compressed on extended lengths of their shocks.

https://www.tuffcountry.com/more-products/shock-absorbers/
https://www.tuffcountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Tuff_AppGuide_2018_final.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub