Rear Bumper 1986 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I put a westin on my 87. Lmc front bumper spotted with rust 15 minutes after install. Westin still as new.
Eric

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
In the '70s (and before) I remember all brands of pickup trucks often wearing rear bumpers that were installed at the dealership. Usually these were painted instead of chrome and would have the dealership name stamped into the metal. My Dad's '77 GMC had this. Dealers were happy to install a chrome rear bumper...for a small fee.

The nicer, more upscale trucks arrived at the dealership with factory chrome bumpers. And of course the Blazers, Jimmys and Suburbans had the rounded bumpers with no place to install a trailer ball and required the installation of a Draw-Tite type hitch.

I know that it is popular to install the Suburban/Blazer style rear bumper on a square these days but that is not how those trucks looked back in the day and not what I wanted for mine.

The Westin brand that @mtbadbob recommended is probably your best option today. And happens to be what is on my '87.

You must be registered for see images attach

I do remember before I installed mine that I jacked the back of my truck up, turned the bumper upside down then blocked the ends of the Westin bumper up in the air, put blocks from my receiver hitch to the bottom hitch plate of the bumper, and let the weight of my truck take some of the smile out of the bumper. I also jumped up & down on the back of my truck for added force to the bumper. It seems not many of them are very flat as I'm sure they distort when they weld that hitch plate onto them. I got it better for sure, but still not perfect.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
We sell the original style sport bumpers at AMD, not sure which style bumper you're after

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
We sell the original style sport bumpers at AMD, not sure which style bumper you're after

I like them on C's, but not the K's, jmho...

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My Dad sold Ford trucks in that timeframe, and they seldom ordered the factory bumper. His rationale was that farmers and ranchers often wanted a specific type of rear bumper (or none at all), so it was easier to keep a few standard models in the parts room.

I do recall one bumper style that was recessed so it allowed the tailgate to be unhooked on the sides and swing down until it was completely vertical. That made it easier to push feed or dirt directly out of the bed without dragging it across the open tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod