Rear Bumper 1986 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saig55

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Looking for an OE style rear bumper.
I checked with LMC, but really don’t like the looks of those. Looking for something closer to original. Any ideas on where to find such an animal, thanks.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I thought rear bumpers were dealer installed options on squares.

Dad was talking about the brand the good ones were the other day but I don’t remember what it was.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

Dad was talking about the brand the good ones were the other day but I don’t remember what it was.
I only remember an occasional truck on the lots without rear bumpers. I think you could order them that way though.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I checked with LMC, but really don’t like the looks of those. Looking for something closer to original. Any ideas on where to find such an animal, thanks.
Look for 1 off a burb. And use a receiver hitch

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In the '70s (and before) I remember all brands of pickup trucks often wearing rear bumpers that were installed at the dealership. Usually these were painted instead of chrome and would have the dealership name stamped into the metal. My Dad's '77 GMC had this. Dealers were happy to install a chrome rear bumper...for a small fee.

The nicer, more upscale trucks arrived at the dealership with factory chrome bumpers. And of course the Blazers, Jimmys and Suburbans had the rounded bumpers with no place to install a trailer ball and required the installation of a Draw-Tite type hitch.

I know that it is popular to install the Suburban/Blazer style rear bumper on a square these days but that is not how those trucks looked back in the day and not what I wanted for mine.

The Westin brand that @mtbadbob recommended is probably your best option today. And happens to be what is on my '87.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
When I bought my 75 K20 the rear bumper was an OPTION.....most came without any bumper and we installed a step bumper for most of our customers......mostly an Ag/Farm community? I found an original chrome rear bumper that matched the front and put that on.......I ran a 9 1/2 foot self contained over the cab slide-in camper, didn't need a hitch.

saig55

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I don’t really care for the rounded bumpers.. looks good on a show truck but not a working truck like mine. I will look at the Westin… I’m sure they make several..
there is a 4 wheel parts place not to far from me so I can swing by there to look at them. I’m pretty sure they sell westin..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe the rear bumpers, if originally optioned, were installed at the factory. I'm sure @Keith Seymore can say for sure. It was trucks ordered without them that got dealer installed bumpers, if the buyer wanted it.

I can say with certainty that trucks ordered with a rear bumper got a specific design rear bumper authorized by GM, not just a random universal aftermarket bumper.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe the rear bumpers, if originally optioned, were installed at the factory. I'm sure @Keith Seymore can say for sure. It was trucks ordered without them that got dealer installed bumpers, if the buyer wanted it.

I can say with certainty that trucks ordered with a rear bumper got a specific design rear bumper authorized by GM, not just a random universal aftermarket bumper.
I went with my Brother to buy a new K30 in the winter of 78 and every truck at Al Starns Chevrolet did not have a rear bumper. We had to haggle a deal, they slid it in bed and we installed that evening. Most trucks I seen at dealers had no bumper in the 70s.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Rear bumpers were options. Back in the day many dealers ordered trucks with out the rear bumpers. Then some would add aftermarket bumpers to every truck. Increase the price to match the factory bumper. This was done like so many dealers also added pin strips to every car. More profit with every vehicle sale.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Our '78 Sierra shop truck was ordered and delivered with no rear bumper. Had the plain white one on the front. IIRC after it got badly wrecked a year after we bought it, Dad ordered the painted bumpers with the black plastic pads on them, for front and rear, and had the body shop paint them Colonial Yellow to match the truck.
The '81 Sierra came with the painted steel step bumper, and still had it when we got rid of it.
Dad added the wheel well moldings, we had a hard time finding the front ones since they are different than the 73-80 ones. You can also see the smooth cedar bed rails he made for it; the truck was about four years old in this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20240220_203705294_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240220_203705294_HDR~2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 15

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Rear bumpers were options. Back in the day many dealers ordered trucks with out the rear bumpers. Then some would add aftermarket bumpers to every truck. Increase the price to match the factory bumper. This was done like so many dealers also added pin strips to every car. More profit with every vehicle sale.
Actually the "rear bumper delete" was a thing well into the OBS era. My '97 CCLB has that option, and an aftermarket or dealer installed rear bumper that is close to, but not exactly like, the factory type. Has a big dent in it, that it came to me with, and eventually it'll get replaced.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag