Ready to gear - next steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good afternoon, all.
Long time since I posted last...

Anyhow, I went down to the local upull yesterday to see what was sitting around and came home rather disappointed and empty-handed. I was for awhile entertaining bumping up to 1 tons, but figure that I'm never going to have this truck in a situation where I'll be needing unbreakable axles.

I'm going to stick with my 12 bolt/Dana 44 combo.

Now... I'm only intending on bumping to 33s, but there's this little thing called "3.42s SUCK" that plagues me. Prior to 33s and any lifting, I need to address the issue. I know that 4.10s are common (despite the fact that I can't seem to locate any) and that I wouldn't need anything necessarily special to make this work. I can assume that 4.56s would need a new carrier, which I am just not up for at this point.

I'll get it done, but the search for re-gearing has been a pain in my ass...

I'm trying to keep it on the budget-minded side of things. Any help/advice/consolation/whatever is greatly appreciated...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'm thinking back to when I re-geared my jeep, and if I remember right it wasn't cheap. I want to say it was $1,800 for the gear sets, new carrier for the front, and to have the shop do the work. For you, if you could find some axles with the right gears, it would be a whole lot cheaper.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well... looks like I have a 3-series carrier.
This is going to be a huge production, I take it.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well... looks like I have a 3-series carrier.
This is going to be a huge production, I take it.

Ha! Maybe not.

I found a guy who's upgrading to 1-tons and has the same axle set as me, but rebuilt recently - 4.11s with a locker in the ass end for $500.

Deal... deal... and deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70meyers