Re-start mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jray8

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So my 305 w/ tbi won't restart when warm. Normally I might think the coil but it does not stall once running. I need to let the engine cool down before it will start again. Turns over just wont fire up. Not sure if its no spark or if its fuel related. Kinda sucks to run into a store and not have my truck start back up when I go to leave. :)

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
When the no start condition happens, you should pop the air cleaner off, and look at the injectors to see if fuel is spraying during the no start crank. Of course, you will need need a buddy with you, or a remote starter switch, which you can pick up cheap at a parts store.
Maybe you can go for a drive, and then back to your driveway.
If there is fuel, then check the main coil wire for spark.
I am thinking that your coil or ignition control module may be on the way out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
When the no start condition happens, you should pop the air cleaner off, and look at the injectors to see if fuel is spraying during the no start crank. Of course, you will need need a buddy with you, or a remote starter switch, which you can pick up cheap at a parts store.
Maybe you can go for a drive, and then back to your driveway.
If there is fuel, then check the main coil wire for spark.
I am thinking that your coil or ignition control module may be on the way out.

I was thinking coil or module also. If there is a hairline crack in the circuitry it will show it's effects when it warms up and expands.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I've had that crap with my 88 since I got it. New dst. and coil still does it, let it sit for a few minutes and it'll fire back up. I never figured it out, nor have I checked for fuel when it does this.

Jray8

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I'm going to do a tune up, replace the coil for a start. Going to check for fuel next time it happens. I just picked up a repair manual today too so I am going in search of any circuitry that might effect it. Wish me luck.

john55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I had a 88 ford (sorry didn't mean to cuss)w 351 boured 60 over rebuild it started no mater how cold drive it 5 miles wouldn't start temp gauge fine new starter w/ heat shield new radiator & thermostat,solenoid, alt, plugs wires, large battery when it cooled dfown 1/2 hr started right back up sometimes i poured water over engine solenoid starter etc never it found out. finally junked it it drove me nuts hope you figure it out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486