Rattle can paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
So I've finally decided what I'm going to do about paint. Currently my cab is the stock tan and my new bed is still in primer. I'm planning on using Krylon's Khaki camo ultra flat in rattle cans. I think it'll give me the look I want while being easily repairable.

My questions are what do I need to do for prep over the paint/primer that I have now, and how many cans will it take to do the truck? I'm going to cover the under side of the bed and the inside of the rear fender wells with undercoat, but everything else will need painting.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I've finally decided what I'm going to do about paint. Currently my cab is the stock tan and my new bed is still in primer. I'm planning on using Krylon's Khaki camo ultra flat in rattle cans. I think it'll give me the look I want while being easily repairable.

My questions are what do I need to do for prep over the paint/primer that I have now, and how many cans will it take to do the truck? I'm going to cover the under side of the bed and the inside of the rear fender wells with undercoat, but everything else will need painting.

I have read somewhere before about how many cans you will need and believe that nobody was able to give an exact answer. There are too many variables as in temp and your technique and all that. Also obviously depends on number of coats. Somewhere I actually read where somebody calculated the square footage of paintable surfaces on a shortbed but I can't remember where I saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
chase
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I went thorough 3 cans painting side skirts on my car and it was only 1 coat.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I went thorough 3 cans painting side skirts on my car and it was only 1 coat.

Guess I could just grab a couple of cases and see how far it gets me. Ultra-flat is really easy to blend.

Chevy Steelers

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I paint cars for a living and my nephew rattle cans his cars! He used bout 20 on a Honda civic going from red to yellow! Then he painted it black! All rattle cans. Just depends on what color it is now to what color you're gonna paint it. A med light gray is usually the easiest color to cover with most colors. Also make sure your metal is warm, 72 degrees is best air temp to paint in, too cold and it'll run off the sides! Good luck! Nephews cars didn't look to bad from a distance!

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I paint cars for a living and my nephew rattle cans his cars! He used bout 20 on a Honda civic going from red to yellow! Then he painted it black! All rattle cans. Just depends on what color it is now to what color you're gonna paint it. A med light gray is usually the easiest color to cover with most colors. Also make sure your metal is warm, 72 degrees is best air temp to paint in, too cold and it'll run off the sides! Good luck! Nephews cars didn't look to bad from a distance!

Thanks. On the cab I'm covering tan with slightly different tan, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. And the bed is gray primer. 24 cans will run me about $120 (best price I've found so far) which is pretty cheap for a paint job. I can use the climate controlled paint booth at work on the weekends, so I figure paint it on a Saturday morning and give it the weekend to dry.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks. On the cab I'm covering tan with slightly different tan, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. And the bed is gray primer. 24 cans will run me about $120 (best price I've found so far) which is pretty cheap for a paint job. I can use the climate controlled paint booth at work on the weekends, so I figure paint it on a Saturday morning and give it the weekend to dry.

Soak your cans in a hot water bath. You will get more consistent coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
My rattle can job....

I used Rustoleum Flat Paint. It was a reddish maroon to begin with so it coated really well. I wanna say I only used about 9 or 10 cans of red and 2 cans of white (roof was already white as well)

You must be registered for see images

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Can't you buy a harbor freight hvlp gun and regular auto paint for that much?

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
My rattle can job....

I used Rustoleum Flat Paint. It was a reddish maroon to begin with so it coated really well. I wanna say I only used about 9 or 10 cans of red and 2 cans of white (roof was already white as well)

You must be registered for see images

That looks nice. So I could conceivably paint this thing with half the amount of paint I was planning for? That'd definitely save me some money.

Can't you buy a harbor freight hvlp gun and regular auto paint for that much?

Yea, but this truck could do well with a matte paint job to hide the body work I'm not going to do, and it being spray cans means touch ups are nothing.

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
Well like I said my original color was close to what I sprayed it so it didn't need much to cover it. If you were doing a more drastic change then you would need more paint.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
That looks nice. So I could conceivably paint this thing with half the amount of paint I was planning for? That'd definitely save me some money.

Yea, but this truck could do well with a matte paint job to hide the body work I'm not going to do, and it being spray cans means touch ups are nothing.
I have seen auto paint in aerosol cans too. Just seems like a cheap auto paint would be more durable in the long run. Just playing devils advocate

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
Mine has made it through the 4th worst winter on record up here...just fine. Looks like it did when I put it om.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I have seen auto paint in aerosol cans too. Just seems like a cheap auto paint would be more durable in the long run. Just playing devils advocate

You could be completely right. This is my first attempt at anything like this, so I'm sure I'll make several mistakes that I regret later. From my less than educated outlook, this seems like a solution that will get me the result I'm after, but we'll see if that's how it turns out in the end.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
You could be completely right. This is my first attempt at anything like this, so I'm sure I'll make several mistakes that I regret later. From my less than educated outlook, this seems like a solution that will get me the result I'm after, but we'll see if that's how it turns out in the end.
I know a nice rattle can job is possible, it is just a real paint gun is easier imho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctonton