Radiator recore or buy new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After removing the transmission from my 84 a couple of weeks ago I noticed my rad was leaking. Great!!

Found one place that recores locally. Quoted +/- $1000 !!! Jeez that’s what I’m being charged to rebuild the 700r4!! I know it’s time consuming and the rising costs of metals but….

I ordered a Spectra aluminum one with the proper dimensions. Made here in Canada. For a quarter of the price. I’ve had luck with them before.

Gary

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Cool...
I hear they last a good while... make sure the aluminum is .026" Min on the tabs.
.022" is NFG...

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I've seen many plastic radiators crack at 150k tho.But even that is a long time for plastic. As many also go a little longer. Mine has 200k,which is almost longer than any other I've had.I did have a 1990 S10 with 330k with a good original one. I bought the truck new and kept it flushed at 30k or every 2yrs.Very clean radiator
Yah. they crack without maintaining them... overall the plastic tank and the unusual aluminum metallurgy is your friend...
When you blow a head gasket and drive for 15 miles, afterwards, you ruined your radiator too...

If you bought an overheated truck or one with an overheated radiator, plastic tanks will suck to you... since yours failed... and you now hate the thing. People are making millions off this behavior with sub standard parts. Bravo! You now feed the internet with BS and make them rich...

Learn the technical specs before you waste your money.... Self tax, by buying bad parts will ruin your hotrod money...
Do YOU think you are smarter than the guys building OEM plastic tank cores?

They last a decade... seriously, how much more do you want from a radiator?

If you are not an engineer, hire one... but do not speak without KNOWING what you are talking about, by generalizing... please...

Plastic Tank Radiators are GOOD, if you buy a quality unit with thick aluminum crimps...

The rest is BS marketing to steal your gold...

If you hit a deer, do you want to replace an $800 brass radiator or a $145 OSC aluminum radiator, which might have lasted a decade...

If you can afford brass , in every vehicle you buy, I would like all your discarded radiators, please...

Think before you post about my argument... your reputation here depends on your ability to know when to stop and think...
There are MILLIONS of pre-1985 vehicles still on the OEM plastic radiator... world wide... running every day...

If it weren't for plastic cores, your radiator would cost $2000.00, not $800 for the brass 4 core... because of the market price per unit.

Do not fight the real data and actual numbers, you'll be wrong...
Confirmation bias is technically a form of mental illness... Brainwashing... Groupthink...
Do not spread confirmation bias, Fight it with all your might with facts and research...
Please do not be offended by reading this... we all fight groupthink every day with the news.

If you love aluminum, great. If you want brass, great...
If you hate plastic tanks, OK, you win... Plastic tanks are NFG, in YOUR MIND ONLY...

Will you EVER drive 24 hours of Daytona in your square body?
Love to see it... really... NO YOU WILL NOT.

Will your Griffin radiator be capable of the 24 Hours Race? Yes...
will your stock plastic radiator make it, NO... probably not... it is not designed to...
Will your Griffin make it a decade... NO... it is NOT designed to...
You can see where this argument starts to look stupid by design and gets circular because of the basic needs vs hard use requirements...?

Plastic tank radiators, in my years of extensive research, outperform every option globally for OVER 2 decades... FACT.
Spend your hotrod money where it counts... not on a group think idea which is wrong.

You can buy 6 Spectra Aluminum Canadian radiators for the price of 1 Griffin...
Even if they average 8 years, that is 48 years of radiator life compared to a design built for 2 years under road race conditions...

-Welder

Last edited:

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yup

I once put a new Griffen rad in my 68 Dart with a 528” bigblock. Lasted a whopping 3 days before it started to leak where the tubes are glued/epoxied to the tanks!! Place I bought it from (or Griffen) wouldn’t honour the warranty because it sat in my garage for a year before it actually made its maiden voyage.

Put a $130 el cheapo aluminum rad in there and voila!! Still in there since 2007 cooling nicely.

Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1