Radiator question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve narrowed down my search, what I’m looking for now is an all aluminum 2 row radiator with 1 inch tubes, from the internet reading I’ve done, people claim that those will out cool a 3 or 4 row copper, I haven’t bought one yet, I may wait till tomorrow so I do a little more looking for a lower price.

During my searching I came across this post from a thread in the Oldsmobile forums that has pictures of this radiator and a little more detail about it, however, I haven’t been able to find it as cheap as this guy did: http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/342359-post9.html

The radiator in my truck has 1.5 inch hose connections both top and bottom, and is about 18.5 inches tall and 33 inches wide, from what I can tell this ebay radiator should be a direct bolt in swap where should be able to use my existing hardware. Those are the measurements I’ve been using to do my search.

So far, this is the cheapest direct fit radiator I’ve been able to find and will buy this one unless I can come up with a better option in the next few hours:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-74-75-...Row-Aluminum-Radiator-w-1-Tubes-/151093076371

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
that's the first thing I tried with my old radiator, but the radiator shop said it was completely shot and needed to be recored at a cost of $365, that's when I went looking for an alternative ...

I have a nice big low mile 4 row/core out of a 78 blazer, I bought it from my brother for 100 bucks, but it's the tall one that take them other brackets like chengny posted, I'll probably post it on craigslist and see if I can find a buyer for it.

I doubt you'll get your $100 out of it on CL. So how about finding those brackets for the taller radiator? Maybe a guy here has them. Just change out the saddle brackets is all there is to it right? And then the use the taller top mounts too. IF a guy here has a set of lower and upper clamps you're good to go with the 4 core. Or do you have a Pull it yourself type salvage yard local? I doubt they'd charge more than $15-$20 for that stuff.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I’ve narrowed down my search, what I’m looking for now is an all aluminum 2 row radiator with 1 inch tubes, from the internet reading I’ve done, people claim that those will out cool a 3 or 4 row copper, I haven’t bought one yet, I may wait till tomorrow so I do a little more looking for a lower price.

During my searching I came across this post from a thread in the Oldsmobile forums that has pictures of this radiator and a little more detail about it, however, I haven’t been able to find it as cheap as this guy did: http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/342359-post9.html

The radiator in my truck has 1.5 inch hose connections both top and bottom, and is about 18.5 inches tall and 33 inches wide, from what I can tell this ebay radiator should be a direct bolt in swap where should be able to use my existing hardware. Those are the measurements I’ve been using to do my search.

So far, this is the cheapest direct fit radiator I’ve been able to find and will buy this one unless I can come up with a better option in the next few hours:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-74-75-...Row-Aluminum-Radiator-w-1-Tubes-/151093076371

And now I see this post. I don't see how you can wrong if it's going to bolt right in. If you get it, do keep us updated on how the transaction goes, how the install goes and how the cooling performance is, then update us a few months later on how it's going. Might be something that many of us end up doing in the future since it's getting harder and harder to find real brass/copper radiators, and when you do find someone that will work on them, you may as well just go ahead and give them your sack too cuz you won't need it after they charged you not only your left nut, but your right one too. Don't need a sack if you don't have jewels to be carrying around.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
the trick with those aluminum radiators (at least from what I've read) seems to be in the number and size of the tubes, apparently having 2 rows, with the tubes being an inch to an inch and a quarter wide, seems to be the magic number, the over all reviews of the ebay radiators, (mostly American Eagle and Champion) seems to be that they are well liked, the only negative stuff I read was from the nay sayers (them are the people that complain about them without ever trying one for themselves) and to me, those votes don't count, it's impossible to to accurately judge something without some first hand experience in my opinion.

I figured I over paid for that old copper/brass 4 row, but it's a done deal now, I might keep it, find the brackets and set everything aside for a future time when it may be needed, I'll junk the other two radiators.

I know I kinda over hashed this radiator shopping thread, and maybe put more questions into it then needed but cooling system issues are a major deal to me, and I've had my fare share of them over the years, from an old oldsmobile with a bad radiator cap that ended up costing me an engine, to a Jeep with the wrong water pump on it that cost me the entire truck.

I tend to go a little over kill on cooling systems these days, even with our Subaru's, friends were scratching their heads wondering "why even bother with that?"

I've been collecting parts for this truck for months, as soon as the radiator shows up, I'm doing a complete overhaul of the cooling system, I'll post it here, everything from cleaning the engine to using cooling system filters, it all makes a difference .....

Last edited:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Looking forward to that write up! :popcorn:

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

thanks for the link, it looks like his mounts up the same way mine does, and he's probably using the same radiator I'm going to order.

American Eagle, and champion radiators look to be the same from what I've read on the net, and the comments suggest they are, if you buy a champion, it's shipped by American eagle, and vice-versa.

pay close attention to the model number, from what I can tell, mine takes an AE161, a slight variation in the part number can be the difference between the number of tubes, the hose inlet and outlet size, (mines 1.5 inches both top and bottom.) the height, width, thickness, tube location ect.

I'll get better close up pictures of the radiator, inside and out when mine shows up. I am really curious about the size of those tubes and exactly how well it's going to fit.

On a side note, there's a square-body Facebook page I've been posting to I don't know if it's related to here or not https://www.facebook.com/groups/squarebodytrucks/

I had posted in there yesterday asking what oil viscosity to use, (and today I can't seem to find the post at all) they had suggested all sorts of different ideas, but the one that stood out was Valvoline VR1, so today I picked up 5 quarts of the 10w-30.

someone also suggested to throw in a quart of Lucas oil treatment, so I bought a quart of that stuff to, but after reading about it on the net, (read a lot of somewhat ugly comments) I see no reason to put that stuff in the truck, however, I have an old Subaru I drive over 100 miles a day, that clatters something awful, has a dead cylinder, burns a quart of oil about every 400 miles ....so that's where the Lucas oil treatment is going to go.

while I'm on the subject of that old Subaru .. Thrifty auto parts had an oil sale a while back where you got a free oil filter (a fairly nice one to) if you bought a 5 quart jug of oil, needless to say, I buy oil for the Subaru by the jug, so when they offered the free filter, I was thinking about the truck, so I now have a lifetime supply of filters for that old Chevy and beins how that trucks sat for the last 6 or 7 years, I figured I might as well change the oil and filter while I'm pressure washing the engine and changing out all the cooling system components.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know that you can go overkill on a cooling system. I always like to have more than I needed and when those times come where you need it, you have it. I know of places that are long grades and don't know about now, but years ago, they had signs up, Caution, vehicles overheating, shut off your AC if you experience engine overheating.

Obviously we all know, if you have a vehicle running AC, you need a bigger cooling system. If you're running a big block, you need a bigger cooling system, if you intend to run a big cam and will be city driving you need a bigger cooling system, if you're towing alot, especially up long hills or grades you need a huge cooling system. You have a thermostat to help keep a motor warm so why not go balls out and put in the biggest and best you can get.

On my 64 GMC, I designed a radiator and had it built. Cost me a fortune. And I had Auxillary back up E fans, along with a shroud and water pump flex fan. I still ran 200-220 sitting in stop and go LA traffic and that was with NO AC. Big cams do create heat from all the valve overlap. By all rights, it wasn't a truck that should have been a daily driver with the biggo .525 lift .310 duration cam it had in it but I did it for years. Not sure I could get by with that in other states that are hot, like AZ or some OK days, but in OK we don't have stop and go traffic like LA had either. At any rate point is, I never worry about having an overkill cooling system. I'd rather go overkill and not need it than undrer cool or have just good enough, then that one time you're climbing a hill towing a trailer and you start getting into the 230-240 range and wish you'd have gone with the bigger set up.

I myself have heard nothing but good about all aluminum radiators. I myself didn't buy one cuz I could never find a 4 core. Then later was told about the tube size and more tubes per inch so many 2-3 row aluminum radiators cool like a 4 core brass/copper radiator. Next time I buy a radiator, it most likely will be one of those All Aluminums off of ebay.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ok, I just bought the radiator, I ended up getting this one for $179.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281150988370

I guess I better get busy and start cleaning up that engine compartment, there's 30 something years of grease in there

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Use ZEP brand heavy duty oven cleaner. Get it at Home Depot, it's half the price of EZ-Off and twice as powerful.

It cuts the grease and breaks it up better than any degreaser I've ever used- only thing better is gasoline.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Use ZEP brand heavy duty oven cleaner. Get it at Home Depot, it's half the price of EZ-Off and twice as powerful.

It cuts the grease and breaks it up better than any degreaser I've ever used- only thing better is gasoline.

I picked this stuff up to clean the engine with, someone at the auto parts store said it was some really good stuff, and it was 4 bucks for the gallon.

it's distributed by clean-rite and called Purple Power, I've never heard if the stuff, but the guys up at the parts store said they can't keep it in stock and I got the last gallon they had, I figured it was worth a shot

here's a link to a review: http://www.examiner.com/article/clean-rite-purple-power-cleaner-degreaser-product-review

and holy cow, this stuff is 24 bucks a gallon on ebay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-GALLON-CL...R-DEGREASER-SPRAY-BOTTLES-4320P-/180874861354

now I'm wondering if I can get any more for that $4 price tag ........ dang, glad I got what I did

Attachments

• 100_3057.jpg
    100_3057.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've gotten the 2.5 gallon jug on sale before for either $8.99 or $9.99. Right now it's $12.99 at Advanced Auto, and is $24.39 for the 5 gallon bucket.

The stuff does work good. It's concentraded and makes alot of cleaner and goes a long way mixed with water. If you got something real tough, then add a bit more PP to your mix and it'll work even better. I like it. This same company also makes a rust remover.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ok, what's PP?

That stuff that comes out of the end of your willy after you drink lots of liquid !!! :rofl: OK OK, I was jus kidding.

PP as in Purple Power, the product were talking about.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That stuff that comes out of the end of your ..... after you drink lots of liquid !!! :rofl: OK OK, I was jus kidding.

PP as in Purple Power, the product were talking about.

hahaha, ok, I shoulda had that one figured out, ok, I'm a little s-l-o-w ...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06