Quiet muffler recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looking for options for quiet mufflers for my 84.

Has headers and 2.5” exhaust. Ones on there now are way too loud. There when I got the truck. Headers are staying.

I’d be happy with stock sounding mufflers if I can find ones that will slip right in place of what’s there now once I measure them. What’s there is new, just too loud. Especially on the highway.

Thanks
Codfish

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Has headers and 2.5” exhaust. Ones on there now are way too loud. There when I got the truck. Headers are staying.

I’d be happy with stock sounding mufflers if I can find ones that will slip right in place of what’s there now once I measure them. What’s there is new, just too loud. Especially on the highway.

Thanks
Codfish
What's on it now?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you’re looking for some performance, I know Flowmaster has a line of Hush Power mufflers. I think I saw some YouTube videos a while back that they were doing some decibel comparisons.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
If you’re looking for some performance, I know Flowmaster has a line of Hush Power mufflers. I think I saw some YouTube videos a while back that they were doing some decibel comparisons.
I did the hushpowers on mine in 2.25" duals, no real experience driving with them on the square yet though.

I have a 2.5" hushpower on my jeep (3.6L V6) and needed to put a resonator on to reduce the drone in the cab. Sounds great now.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm running Walker sound FX's they are a good budget muffler. In my case it's a single exhaust, but it works well on duals too, won't break the bank, you'll get a nice sound that isn't loud, they are probably the closest thing you'll find to stock in terms of sound, and size.

Also if your dual exhaust does not have an H-pipe, that can mellow the pulses some what. It doesn't really make the exhaust quieter, but you will tend to perceive lower RPM's as being a bit quieter, so there is that. But that won't fix an overall to loud exhaust. Look at the Walker sound FX mufflers.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is a engine masters episode where they test out different turbo mufflers. You can check it out, it may not be applicable to your “stock sound” desire, but they do test for decibels.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You said quiet. The quietest muffler would be the factory muffler. Most likely no longer available, look for a newer truck GM muffler. Certainly not the cheapest or even the best flowing muffler, but GM engineers get paid lots to design a muffler that is quiet with good flow.

Something maybe on a late model for a 5.3L that fits your requirements.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You said quiet. The quietest muffler would be the factory muffler. Most likely no longer available, look for a newer truck GM muffler. Certainly not the cheapest or even the best flowing muffler, but GM engineers get paid lots to design a muffler that is quiet with good flow.

Something maybe on a late model for a 5.3L that fits your requirements.
Wont argue the quality or engineering of GM factory mufflers but... HAVE YOU NOTICED THE SIZE ON THOSE SUCKERS?

LOL... The one on my wife Yukon XL is the size of a quarter drum, its huge.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I had a buddy put a set of the 50 series Flowmasters on his truck behind his 350.
We make fun of him for how quiet it is.
If I were in your shoes, I would look at those or the 60 or 70 series mufflers.
Those will tame the sounds way down from loud.
Have ya sounding mellow like a delivery truck in no time....
You must be registered for see images attach

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What's on it now?
Not sure

Nothing stamped on it whatsoever. 13” case length and 9” wide. Looks like Flowmaster construction but no markings.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Not sure

Nothing stamped on it whatsoever.

Looks like a cheap copy of a 40 series flowmaster. Just about anything should be quieter than those, and probably less drone inside the cab too.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
The writing will be on the upper side of the muffler.
Switching to even a 50 series or a delta flow will help with the noise they put out.

We have a pile of flowmasters we have brought home with us from various places.
They are pairs of all different series of mufflers and sound outputs.

Summit carries a knockoff of the Flowmasters called Flowmonsters.
They are made for Summit by Flowmaster to get in on the knockoff line of profits.
Instead of having a stainless steel case, they are just galvanized steel...

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
For aftermarket mufflers it doesn't get much quieter than a turbo muffler. Stock mufflers are very quiet, but they're also 35lbs and the size of a trash can. As far as something you can easily slap into the place of whatever mufflers you currently have that are too loud for your taste, it doesn't get much cheaper or quieter than a good ole Thrush turbo (a new one that hasn't had all the matting blown out of it lol). They'll still make some noise if you really stand on it, but otherwise they're as tame as you can get readily available over the parts counter.

TropicalSilverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

Thanks
Codfish
I replaced Flowmasters with Walker Quiet Zone mufflers for a stock dual exhaust sound. My ‘87 is mostly original and it’s one of the best changes that I have made to it.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
For aftermarket mufflers it doesn't get much quieter than a turbo muffler. Stock mufflers are very quiet, but they're also 35lbs and the size of a trash can. As far as something you can easily slap into the place of whatever mufflers you currently have that are too loud for your taste, it doesn't get much cheaper or quieter than a good ole Thrush turbo (a new one that hasn't had all the matting blown out of it lol). They'll still make some noise if you really stand on it, but otherwise they're as tame as you can get readily available over the parts counter.
I ran hooker “super comp” turbo mufflers on my k-10 for the 10 years it was my daily driver, I almost went that way this time too.

They were deep and sounded great at an idle and we’re not loud at highway speed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad