Quiet muffler recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
I had to add resonators on my k5. That did the trick.Actually found some resonator tips in stainless that look good as well.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
A couple more options from the Pontiac community: they are telling me Pypes Turbo Pro, or Dynomax 17749 Long Case Super Turbo.

K

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I removed my "quiet magnaflow" too loud for me. Replaced it with a large dynomax super turbo
No drone and very pleasant

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I removed my "quiet magnaflow" too loud for me. Replaced it with a large dynomax super turbo
Same here. Installed a Dynomax ST when I got the burb 23 years ago. Needed something quiet since any excessive noise comes up right into the passenger area. If it ever wears out I won’t hesitate to get another one.

JohnRod

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I 2nd the old Turbo style mufflers. have a set on my 67 C-10 panel tk. at idle they sound good. in motion, no noise at all. an old days test showed they were the best all-round. mine are Cyclone [which prolly arent made anymore]. Thrush very close. life may be dependent on weather.
Rod in AZ.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
The super turbo type for the win. Jegs and Summit have their own brand for cheap. I'm running a pair of them on my truck . Headers and duals exiting behind the wheels.

JimmyJay

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I had magnaflow on my last truck and I had to add resonators to reduce the drone. Won’t do those again.

I agree that turbos are the way to go and add resonators if you want it even quieter.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Removed large body magnaflow on my tahoe. Ended up with resonators, large body diesel mufflers, and another set of spiralflow mufflers to get it where can actually hold a conversation inside

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Looking for options for quiet mufflers for my 84.

Has headers and 2.5” exhaust. Ones on there now are way too loud. There when I got the truck. Headers are staying.

I’d be happy with stock sounding mufflers if I can find ones that will slip right in place of what’s there now once I measure them. What’s there is new, just too loud. Especially on the highway.

Thanks
Codfish
What did you get are you happy with them?

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Scoots1

JUST back from 2 week turnaround with work. Still haven’t ordered anything yet. Gotta measure the length of what’s on there now to hopefully get a bolt in replacement. Mind are virtually brand new and only clamped in place so hopefully they come apart easily. It’s a long run of straight pipe leading into the mufflers so I can always go with a longer muffler, which the quieter ones seems to be.

I’ll post up here some results/ opinions once I get something on it.

Cheers
Codfish

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Went with the Walker Quiet Flows. Not a huge difference at idle, but much better driving around. Those videos were taken on different days, with the Flowmaster video on a warm engine, and the Walkers on a cold start. I’ll probably do another video on a warm engine with the new mufflers for a better comparison.

Codfish

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You said quiet. The quietest muffler would be the factory muffler. Most likely no longer available, look for a newer truck GM muffler. Certainly not the cheapest or even the best flowing muffler, but GM engineers get paid lots to design a muffler that is quiet with good flow.

Something maybe on a late model for a 5.3L that fits your requirements.
Walker still makes an OEM equivalent 18171, 17845 are the most common ones for these trucks, and can be run as single or dual mufflers. Or 18191 for single exhaust with dual outlets, which was OEM for my truck and is what I'm running. Yes they are quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod