Quadrajet choke pulloff not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just wondering why my rear choke pulloff won't work, it is brand new, I have it hooked to lower passenger side port on carb ,I have 12 volts to my electric choke which opens fully ,but I thought when vehicle is first started it should open the choke flap a little, my truck runs rich until the electric choke opens up. Am I hooked up to the right vacuum source? Manifold or ported vacuum.is there any adjustment. Or am I missing some linkage, I have enclosed picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 353

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It needs to be on manifold vacuum. Once you confirm that check to be sure the can pulls in like it should. It should pull in fully without pulling tight on the green rod leaving a liitle bit of travel. If when the can pulls in fully it doesn't pull the choke open a bit pinch the U-bend in the black rod a little tighter until it pulls the plate open about 1/4"-3/8". A hand vacuum pump is handy for this. You need about 18"-20" of vacuum.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The can doesn't pull in at all when engine is running, but if I disconnect hose from carb and suck on it with my mouth, I can get it move in all the way, but the black rod doesn't move at all when I m creating a vacuum. So that means I need to try hooking to manifold source and also adjust the rod. Thank you for your info.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Its easiest to make the adjustments cold with a vacuum pump. Otherwise it may take you a few attempts.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The can doesn't pull in at all when engine is running, but if I disconnect hose from carb and suck on it with my mouth, I can get it move in all the way, .
You're hooked up to ported vacuum, look for a port that has vacuum at idle.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a vacuum pump at work , I will give this a try this weekend. Thanks for the advice , I'm glad I found this site, so informative.

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It needs to be on manifold vacuum. Once you confirm that check to be sure the can pulls in like it should. It should pull in fully without pulling tight on the green rod leaving a liitle bit of travel. If when the can pulls in fully it doesn't pull the choke open a bit pinch the U-bend in the black rod a little tighter until it pulls the plate open about 1/4"-3/8". A hand vacuum pump is handy for this. You need about 18"-20" of vacuum.

I played around with my choke today ,and put a vacuum on it ,got it adjusted a little better by squeezing the u-bend together a little, but now I have lost my fast idle , it worked before, behind and towards the bottom of the electric choke housing there is a Phillips head screw with a spring, I believe this is the fast idle adj? How is this adjusted? Do I push throttle to floor to set fast idle ,then adjust screw. Thanks for any info.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Pretty much. When the engine is cold and you open the throttle fully the choke should snap closed and the fast idle came should rotate as well. Thats the piece the screw you mentioned touches. The cam is weighted and has a slot that allows the choke to open while the engine speed stays up until you open the throttle. Then the weight causes the cam to rotate back. When the choke is open that screw should not touch the cam. I used to set mine warm by pushing the cam up to the high idle position and setting my high idle with it running. I liked about 1000-1200 rpm but choose whatever you like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew45