Quadrajet Adjustment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
17.5 is good vacuum. It's right in the middle of the "green" on my vacuum gauge. If you have access to your grandpa's gauge use it.
Its broken, fell on the ground and the glass broke in a corner and the rubber hose was torn.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
17.5 is good vacuum. It's right in the middle of the "green" on my vacuum gauge. If you have access to your grandpa's gauge use it.
Its broken, fell on the ground and the glass broke in a corner and the rubber hose was torn.

Also, I was asking if its inches of mercury, im assuming yes by that

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It is.

Prolly still works too.

Hotrod I know what a pull-off does but vacuum break is not the word chevrolet uses, I was being a dick. Thats what ford call it or something.
:shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I'm not mistaken, in this example of pics here, you're missing a rod from the vac break to the secondary top butterflies. They can't open to let air in. The bottoms ones on the throttle shaft are probably opening to let fuel in, but doesn't do much good if you can't add air to the fuel. Biggo waste of raw gas and no power advantage if you can't get air down there with the gas.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

Also, I was asking if its inches of mercury, im assuming yes by that

Yes it is inches of mercury. I bet that gauge still works/worked. A new hose can do wonders.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It is.

Prolly still works too.

Hotrod I know what a pull-off does but vacuum break is not the word chevrolet uses, I was being a dick. Thats what ford call it or something.
I thought I was explaining to OP. But GM actually does use it too sometimes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It is.

Prolly still works too.

In Fact, look at the emissions sticker on the air cleaner. Secondary actuator break.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes it is inches of mercury. I bet that gauge still works/worked. A new hose can do wonders.
No, like, it was broke off a piece of the corner and was open, and the hose was bad, but it cant pull vacuum with... well... a hole to the atmosphere. we threw it away long ago. And it didnt have a readable face, either, just tape that said good.
im not sure what was going on with it, but I just have yet ot buy one.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You do not have to be hostile, I was asking because this has been referenced before and im asking for clarity of what you mean as charlie is not present. i didnt think it was for me direectly, no.
In Fact, look at the emissions sticker on the air cleaner. Secondary actuator break.
i would ignore his outburst. a grown man who feels that behavior at 2am is needed, welcomed, or warranted is not one we need to engage with.

Godwinaustin

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If I'm not mistaken, in this example of pics here, you're missing a rod from the vac break to the secondary top butterflies. They can't open to let air in. The bottoms ones on the throttle shaft are probably opening to let fuel in, but doesn't do much good if you can't add air to the fuel. Biggo waste of raw gas and no power advantage if you can't get air down there with the gas.

this may explain why a small amount of gas came off with the vacuum cap I pulled on the back of the carb (the side where the secondaries are) either way I had noticed that linkage missing and have a new one coming Saturday.

I’ve noticed some quadrajets have two of those vacuum actuators but mine only has one

Godwinaustin

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I double checked base timing and it was at 12, I dropped it to 8 just to get the idle down but it’s still fast even with the idle speed screw all the way out.

ive concluded, after my own research and all the help here , that there has to be a vacuum leak somewhere. Guessing it’s the base plate. I loosened and retorqued those bolts to spec but still high so gonna replace that gasket next.

Godwinaustin

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I double checked base timing and it was at 12, I dropped it to 8 just to get the idle down but it’s still fast even with the idle speed screw all the way out.

ive concluded, after my own research and all the help here , that there has to be a vacuum leak somewhere. Guessing it’s the base plate. I loosened and retorqued those bolts to spec but still high so gonna replace that gasket next.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Since you don’t know the specs on your mechanical advance, you need to get the idle down to about 500-600 rpm to verify base timing. Even at 1000 rpm you might be starting to get some mechanical advance, and that would throw off your timing measurement.

Base timing of 8 degrees BTDC is very typical of a stock SBC, so it should idle well with that timing. Also ensure you have the vacuum advance line pulled off the distributor and the line plugged so it does not affect timing at idle. The debate about ported vs. manifold is irrelevant at this point since you will have both ports capped on the carburetor.

The rear choke pull off provides a short delay before it starts to pull the choke partially open. It’s somewhere around 5 seconds, but you can change the time by drilling out the orifice or changing the pull off. Until the engine is warm and choke fully open, the choke also prevents the secondary air flaps from opening.

Also check that the the 3/8” hose to the PCV is tight on the carburetor. Shake the PCV valve to make sure it’s loose inside and vacuum at idle can pull up the plunger inside and seal it off.

Bruce

Godwinaustin

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Interesting comment on the pcv ... this high idle started after I replaced the gasket pcv valve and hose. I checked the seal to the crankcase , but I’ll recheck the hose and the valve itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1