quad front shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87dieselburb

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I have a 87 and a 89 burb both with quads I plow with them and I want a load adjusting shock but the ones I found are for single setup so my question is can I run the single shock with the mounts that are on Already or do I have to change them and wats the best way to do it if I can keep the quad mount

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have a 87 and a 89 burb both with quads I plow with them and I want a load adjusting shock but the ones I found are for single setup so my question is can I run the single shock with the mounts that are on Already or do I have to change them and wats the best way to do it if I can keep the quad mount

Load adjusting shock? Do you mean like the Rancho 9000's? They have a valve on them you can turn and stiffen them up to suit your needs. They make a quad shock application:

RS999113 Stock height. Quad shock option, front inner position, additional washers may be needed to put additional space between shocks on lower mount. (requires 2)
RS999151 Stock height. Front shock (requires 2)
RS999118 Stock height. Rear shock (requires 2)

That being said- if you put them on a stiff setting like what I'm sure you need to do to plow it can put a lot of stress on the lower shock mount on the axle. That area should be beefed up if you want to run it this way.

http://www.gorancho.com/products/sh.../rancho-rs9000xl-shock-absorber-rs999113.html

I ran these shocks years ago when they first came out for my '78 K10. I didn't have the quad shock option, but I liked them. They used to be only 5 position adjustable but I'd turn them up when hauling heavy loads in the bed, then turn them way down for running empty. I liked them.

With all that being said- I think I'd just leave out the inner "extra" shock and run with a single one at each wheel. It would be cheaper, you won't have to make the lower shock mount stronger either. But guess it can also depend on how heavy of a plow are you running...

Last edited:

87dieselburb

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I have the rancho 9000 on my 87 it's the 89 I was mainly talking about I wanted to get Monroe sensa-tracks but they only come for single setup but I settled on Gabriel air shocks all around and setting up onboard air to keep the front end sitting up pretty even with the plow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 95