Q-Jet choke plate stuck open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I have not been able to start my C30 in a while I thought it was the module for my HEI AND @RetroC10Sport help me replace it and it didn't start either. The other day I remove the rod that make the choke open and close so I could set the choke to the close position but I didn't succeeded either.
I did notice some kind of build up on the left side of the carburetor, and when moving the secondary plate by hand I notice that the spring next to the choke valve was not moving.
I know nothing about carburetors but I thought I would ask if I get a carb cleaner and replace this choke valve thing could I get it to start.
Oh I really don't know what that zip tie is holding together it was there when I bought the truck.
Or I will be better just getting a new carburetor.
These are pics of what I see.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I know just enough about carburetors to get me in trouble. Hopefully some more knowledgeable member's will chime in to help. It does look pretty dirty like it could use a good cleaning and rebuild though.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know just enough about carburetors to get me in trouble. Hopefully some more knowledgeable member's will chime in to help. It does look pretty dirty like it could use a good cleaning and rebuild though.

yes it does, all that yellow gunk needs to be clean up. the spring over on the left side when I prime the secondary didn't stretch or anything.

I know nothing about it, been reading old post trying to get a grasp on things

I figure out I have a 4MV but that is all.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What is up with the pull off canister on the passenger right side? It looks like its broken or has some wire wrapped around it?

Can you move the plunger for the pull off freely?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I rebuilt mine with a quality kit from Cliff Ruggles, and I bought his book and some other literature and read it before tearing it down. Once I understood it better, it wasn't so bad. Just a lot of small pieces, and some adjustments to make on the bench and then fine tuning once it's installed. It might worth just rebuilding it and go from there.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What is up with the pull off canister on the passenger right side? It looks like its broken or has some wire wrapped around it?

Can you move the plunger for the pull off freely?

Are you talking about that?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432209975053.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432209975053.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 134

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I rebuilt mine with a quality kit from Cliff Ruggles, and I bought his book and some other literature and read it before tearing it down. Once I understood it better, it wasn't so bad. Just a lot of small pieces, and some adjustments to make on the bench and then fine tuning once it's installed. It might worth just rebuilding it and go from there.

How much was the rebuild kit and book I wouldn't mind investing on something I can use more than once, but not that often either! lol

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you talking about that?

Yes that part.

How much was the rebuild kit and book I wouldn't mind investing on something I can use more than once, but not that often either! lol

I ordered a rebuild kit from another site and with shipping cost me about $100. Took less than a day to rebuild the one I have.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes that part.

I ordered a rebuild kit from another site and with shipping cost me about $100. Took less than a day to rebuild the one I have.

That's how it was when we remove plate and bowl to get to it. the spring that connectos to the pull off is completely stuck when I pull back to open the secondaries it didn't move at all.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size

I paid about $50 for the kit and shipping. The book I think was $30 at the book store. I got the Doug Roe book as well, and a factory manual too. I think I spent just over $100 for the whole shabang. Between all three sources I felt totally comfortable rebuilding mine. His kits are very high quality, and he has other parts if needed. He may ask you to take some pictures of your setup so he knows what you're up against.

I even spoke with Cliff and he helped decipher a couple things I had questions about. He is a really busy guy, but his customer service is exceptional.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/carbkits.html

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I paid about $50 for the kit and shipping. The book I think was $30 at the book store. I got the Doug Roe book as well, and a factory manual too. I think I spent just over $100 for the whole shabang. Between all three sources I felt totally comfortable rebuilding mine. His kits are very high quality, and he has other parts if needed. He may ask you to take some pictures of your setup so he knows what you're up against.

I even spoke with Cliff and he helped decipher a couple things I had questions about. He is a really busy guy, but his customer service is exceptional.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/carbkits.html

So you got the SR. for what I see on mine, I may need all the other parts that don't come in the kit. but I guess will be emailing him pics of it and see what he recommends. I'm in a budget to get this fix I hope it works and can get this truck moving once again!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's how it was when we remove plate and bowl to get to it. the spring that connectos to the pull off is completely stuck when I pull back to open the secondaries it didn't move at all.

Well that is the choke pull off canister. The long part behind it SHOULD push into the canister freely. If this does not happen then something in that area is causing it to bind.

I would start in removing the pull off and freeing the linkages and go from tehre.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well that is the choke pull off canister. The long part behind it SHOULD push into the canister freely. If this does not happen then something in that area is causing it to bind.

I would start in removing the pull off and freeing the linkages and go from tehre.

I should be able to use the carburetor cleaner to get things moving or should I just do it dry as it is?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I should be able to use the carburetor cleaner to get things moving or should I just do it dry as it is?

Everything should move freely without needing carb cleaner. And if you are going to do a rebuild then get a good degreaser to clean up everything.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I will try too get tip it after work.
I don't know what that zip tie is there and what is holding.it cpuld be the pull off canister but not sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee