Pulling drive train, should I remove the front clip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I should probably rename this post because it has taken a turn around from removing the front clip on my 84 to installing a LS in my 84 but thanks for the advise, I believe I I’ll add another survivor back in this world and continue the transformation of my original purchase.Still May need some help with the electronics, I have nothing but the wiring harness that came out of the donor truck.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Honestly if your going to have to buy a trans and adapter to work for this swap I would find a 4l80e and the adapter then you wont have to wonder when the 4l60 will quit.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I removed mine. It helped this older body get to stuff that would be harder to get with fenders. Can't beat the front tires as a seat and being able to walk up to the front of it and step on the cross member to stand on the frame to do your wiring, work on the back of the engine, transbolts 'pending if you put them in together or not, etc.

Pretty much less **** in the way from you getting there quick. Mark your bolts and spacers and the fenders should be close. Who knows....maybe those bumper bolts really need to be replaced as well. Only one way to find out. 2 hours tops taking it all apart, less time puting together (new bolts and knowledge of everything involved).

You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
oh yeh.....good time to clean up that frame and paint everything!

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks David,
How much trouble did you have getting your 5.3 swap together? What kind of modifications did you have to do? Any help would be appreciated

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 76 had a four inch lift and 35’s

I took the front tires off

I had already swapped in a NV3500 five speed manual trans from a 07 Silverado
With a 31 spline NP208 from a 85 CUCV army pickup that had a TH 400

Had to use a different flywheel and clutch but it all fit together
Even though GM never sold the 5.3 with a manual trans , then did sell the 4.8 with a NV3500 manual trans

We did the swap in an unlevel asphalt driveway and had to lay down sheets of plywood so the cherry picker wheels wouldn’t sink into the pavement

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I just pulled and rebuilt my engine and transmission. I did mine in the garage. I had help pulling the hood. I know you said you were doing yours outside which, just pulling the hood, you need to with standard garage ceilings. We ended up pushing the truck outside because there wasnt enough clearance.

When I do go to swap again, Im pulling the core support and the hood. Its nice working *under* the hood without a hood. I pulled the engine and trans as one piece and it doesnt clear the core support very well. I mean, it will clear, you just need to spin and balance out the engine/trans. Thank god for a load balancer.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks again for all the advise, I’m still tying to figure out what it will take ( both cost and parts) to use the 84 front axel and the stock transfer case which transmission will I need to make this work, May just overhaul the 700r and find someone that wants a stock L W B square body

malibuman402

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
BB 402+.060 = 413.8CI
i pull the core support and the bumper.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Larry,
Thats a nice looking engine, what kind of transmission are you using with it?

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I removed mine. It helped this older body get to stuff that would be harder to get with fenders. Can't beat the front tires as a seat and being able to walk up to the front of it and step on the cross member to stand on the frame to do your wiring, work on the back of the engine, transbolts 'pending if you put them in together or not, etc.

Pretty much less **** in the way from you getting there quick. Mark your bolts and spacers and the fenders should be close. Who knows....maybe those bumper bolts really need to be replaced as well. Only one way to find out. 2 hours tops taking it all apart, less time puting together (new bolts and knowledge of everything involved).

I don't mean to side track. But is that coilovers and leaf springs in a 4x4??

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Latest posts