Pulling drive train, should I remove the front clip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Donor truck
i have pulled many engines in my life, but I’ve never removed the front clip to do this. Just wondering if it’s worth the trouble. May be an advantage on reinstallation because my 84 4x4 is lifted, and may keep me from falling from the truck, also could build a scaffolding around the truck, but that could be an issue as well. I will be removing the body lift too, so might be the way to go. My donor truck will be going to the Mud Bog world so I don’t think the new owner will mind it in pieces. Also I’m wondering if I could get a helper can the whole front clip come off in one piece? Thanks for your help

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
When I did my LS swap on my K5 I pulled the hood and core support. I was able to loosen the fenders to take the core support out without having to completely remove.
My K5 is also lifted and I removed and installed with the trans attached.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for your help, I’m going to be doing the swap outside so I will try to get the two trucks close enough to pivot the hoist from one truck to the other, also will have to rebuild the transmission before the reinstall. Will give me time to de smog the motor and make a few additions, cam, headers etc. and of course clean and paint it all up.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I was in a garage so didn't have much ceiling clearance or space between them to work with. When the donor was out I resealed everything except taking the heads off. Those gaskets were good. I tried to reinstall with the new headers on but didn't have enough space. They are even the short style. I ended up pulling them and installing from the bottom after the drivetrain was in.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You can also just pull the core support and inner fenders. I was cleaning up the engine compartment here and changing the A/C evap core.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Good idea, sure beats hanging over the fenders

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I like pulling the core support, dont even have to pull the hood. Make it easier to remove the engine and trans together. I also do my work outside so while it may require extra labor its part of getting the job done for me.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Pull it, I did cam/heads swap on my lifted 4x4, it was a pita and hard on my back. Also if you are removing the body lift it makes more sense to pull it..both of those look fairly nice, why is one headed for mud bog?

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

I keep buying donor trucks and don’t want to part them out, I have 2 here now looking for running gear for a third one. I bought the lifted truck from a man that had started an LS swap and he changed his mind about the build. I’m not sure about using the engine that’s out of a 2005 truck, trying to use the straight front axel etc. if someone can tell me how to use the LS with the 84 transmission and transfer case economically I might change my mind. Thanks

After thought really all I need is an automatic transmission that will bolt to the LS engine and will work with a NP205 transfer case . Thanks again

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm thinking you'll need a 4L60 tranny to bolt to the Ls motor. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks, Doug
will my NP205 bolt to a 4L60e transmission ?

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

I keep buying donor trucks and don’t want to part them out, I have 2 here now looking for running gear for a third one. I bought the lifted truck from a man that had started an LS swap and he changed his mind about the build. I’m not sure about using the engine that’s out of a 2005 truck, trying to use the straight front axel etc. if someone can tell me how to use the LS with the 84 transmission and transfer case economically I might change my mind. Thanks

After thought really all I need is an automatic transmission that will bolt to the LS engine and will work with a NP205 transfer case . Thanks again

the th350 will bolt to it, I believe you need a spacer for the convertor possibly a convertor.

I'm thinking you'll need a 4L60 tranny to bolt to the Ls motor. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

You dont need a 4l60 but most people take advantage of it becase the ecm will control the trans also

Thanks, Doug
will my NP205 bolt to a 4L60e transmission ?
There are adapters to do anything but some can be expensive..You can bolt a 208 to the 4l60 as I had one bolted to my 700r4.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I knew someone who knew more about it would chime in. Good post 4WDKC

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I found this 4L60e from a 1991 GMC Jimmy with an interchangeable bell housing I know it will bolt to the 5.3 but what about the right hand drive transfer case ( adapter needed ?) the add says it shifts hard and newly rebuilt for $250.00 what do you think? Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito