Project Consolidation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Still hoping to work out a deal on the A883, turns out both of us apparently have busy schedules.

I might be selling the Nova soon too. A new guy at work came over yesterday to get some tires I gave him, well today he asked how much I wanted for the Nova as-is (still without engine/trans). I told him $800 and that includes the 305/th350, the Draglites, subframe connectors, Hurst shifter, and a pair of Camaro bucket seats. He just needs to get a couple good paychecks first.

I didn't think sellign the Nova would be an issue at all. For a buddy, $800 is prolly a deal, but I'd CL it for $1000. I don't like that year, but for a 68-72, prefer 70-72 body, you could prolly get upwards of $1500 and work down to about $1200 and get it.

Oh Oh Oh, and do tell about the air compressor on the Transport. Is that one of the dustbuster models? Will that compressor hold up good enough for an ARB Air Locker? What's it's purpose on the Transport?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey, on that van, are the center dash vents any good?

It's been I while since I've looked, but I think so.

Sweet....make money, get rid of some stuff you don't want, give someone else a project, and don't have to put it back together. Win..Win..Win..Win

Yeah, it will work out pretty well if he comes through with the money. I'll even throw some other extra parts his way if it helps the deal go through.

I didn't think sellign the Nova would be an issue at all. For a buddy, $800 is prolly a deal, but I'd CL it for $1000. I don't like that year, but for a 68-72, prefer 70-72 body, you could prolly get upwards of $1500 and work down to about $1200 and get it.

Oh Oh Oh, and do tell about the air compressor on the Transport. Is that one of the dustbuster models? Will that compressor hold up good enough for an ARB Air Locker? What's it's purpose on the Transport?

If it were that body style, I don't think I would be selling it. But if I were, they bring good money around here. A '68-'72 body in similar condition would sell for around $2500 or more. And that's being conservative.

As for the compressor, that's something I've been wondering about. I don't know what is minimum to operate an ARB. But those compressors were used on a lot of the larger GM fwd cars, like Bonnevilles, LeSabres, and such. They were used for rear leveling and usually had a setup in the trunk to add air to tires.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's been I while since I've looked, but I think so.

Yeah, it will work out pretty well if he comes through with the money. I'll even throw some other extra parts his way if it helps the deal go through.

If it were that body style, I don't think I would be selling it. But if I were, they bring good money around here. A '68-'72 body in similar condition would sell for around $2500 or more. And that's being conservative.

As for the compressor, that's something I've been wondering about. I don't know what is minimum to operate an ARB. But those compressors were used on a lot of the larger GM fwd cars, like Bonnevilles, LeSabres, and such. They were used for rear leveling and usually had a setup in the trunk to add air to tires.

Seems I read somewhere it takes 80lbs to activate ARB, so you want at least a 100lb compressor. I'm hoping to run a 3-5 gallon tank too to keep air on hand for filling tires and such. If I want to air down to trail ride I can, then air back up to go home. Also be able to run some cool air horns, air inlets in the cab to be able to blow the dirt out and keep it clean etc. I actually want a complete air system. If I had what I really wanted, I have about a 20 gallon of tank capacity and be able to run an impact gun for changing a tire. It doesn't really take that much air to break loose 8 lugs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You ain't doing that with the compressor from a dustbuster...

But what about nothing but holding 80lbs to activate the ARB locker without a tank? As if I hooked the compressor direct to the locker and that's all it did? Will it hold 80lbs?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Well...Maybe...Seeing as it controls the air shocks on those vans as well...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well...Maybe...Seeing as it controls the air shocks on those vans as well...

If it's something that can do that, I bet I can find one in PAP for about $15-$20 and get to at least use my ARB locker. And it should be able to stand up to that kind of duty. I've been told to get one of those HF cheap cig lighter compressors. I don't see one of those being the type to tolerate constant running wo over heating. They're just not designed for that. The ARB is similar to how a shock system should work. Once its on and filled the line with air and holds the ARB piston on, then the compressor really isn't working unless the air leaks off.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know, I'm thinking the max would be around 60 psi or so.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wonder if I might be better off getting one off a Lincoln. I could always jump in the back seat to take a **** too while I'm at it !!! You know the ones with air ride that never work? So is the compressors that go bad in those? I know they are ECM controlled and hopefully it's other issues besides the compressor that goes bad cuz I sure towed alot of those sorry ass low bastards.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know what you are talking about :emotions33:

And everything goes bad on those cars, all the air ride components are common failures, lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know what you are talking about :emotions33:

And everything goes bad on those cars, all the air ride components are common failures, lol.

Go Figure. It's a Ford. I know I've towed alot of them and they're a muh fugger to get on a roll back dragging ass and not rip the damn exhaust off of them. There's a guy here who makes a fortune converting them to standard suspension for about $1200. Ripping out all the Air crap and installing regular springs and shocks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Go Figure. It's a Ford. I know I've towed alot of them and they're a muh fugger to get on a roll back dragging ass and not rip the damn exhaust off of them. There's a guy here who makes a fortune converting them to standard suspension for about $1200. Ripping out all the Air crap and installing regular springs and shocks.

Yeah, we did a lot of them too at the shop I worked for. Some were easy but others were a bitch to convert.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
What about a compressor off of a newer Chevy that had air ride. I come across those all the time and have one here at home already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76