Problem with 1984 Z28 HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just bought a 1984 Z28 HO for my daughters first car. My wife drove the car about 225 miles the day we bought it with no problems. Today I drove the car about 65 miles at all speeds up to about 75 mph with no problems. Once I was about 12 miles from home and taking off from a dead stop I got on it. The car did not squeal tires or hop or anything but took off strong, and shifted pretty hard. At about 60 mph I got a severe sway, really bad. It felt like the rear end was moving around.

From then on anytime I got over 25 mph the car really swayed side to side badly. I would have to come to a stop and then take off again to get it to stop. If stayed going slow it felt normal. Did not hear any clunking noises or anything else.

Something definitely let go, does this sound like just a shock? maybe the trans mount? panhard bar? Was hoping this is a situation people have had before and someone here would know. Don't have time to get it up on stands for a couple of days. Sucks because this thing was running and driving pretty nice.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It was the panhard bar. Went out at lunch today to jack the car up, and the bolt is completely missing on the drivers side. This car has a new gas tank, wondering if the previous owner had to remove that bar to get the gas tank in and didn't tighten it well enough.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Some do it your selfers are tards some are just in a rush others just cant remember. I would definitely check everything on that car !!!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Glad you found the problem.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I was gonna guess it was the panhard bar:gr_guns:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yup, the panhard bar needs removed to pull the tank. Also the support bar right above it, so you might want to check those bolts too. You have to bend the filler neck to remove/install the tank, so if it's not centered in the opening, it's just a matter of bending it how it should be. A fuel nozzle doesn't always fit very well with the filler neck too low in the opening.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sounds like a sweet car, any pics?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude.

How come wifey drove it ALL DAY LONG on day one but hubby gets in it on day two and breaks it?
It ain't no square body truck ol boy, it's fiberglass and plastic...be careful! :D

Ever seen a 3rd gen sitting way off to one side? Those bars bend given too much power. There are sweet night/day aftermarket ones and polyurethane bushings... Hook it uuuppp!

Last edited:

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dude.

How come wifey drove it ALL DAY LONG on day one but hubby gets in it on day two and breaks it?
It ain't no square body truck ol boy, it's fiberglass and plastic...be careful! :D

Ever seen a 3rd gen sitting way off to one side? Those bars bend given too much power. There are sweet night/day aftermarket ones and polyurethane bushings... Hook it uuuppp!

Believe me, you are not the first one to mention this.....the wife and kid found this very funny.

I ordered bushings and bolts from Hawks. I saw all the nicer bars and various other suspension parts to put money in but just ordered the bolts and bushings this time.

The bushing that was in there already was really in there. I haven't removed one and was having trouble getting it to come out so I just put the new nut and bolt on there for now. My 82 K10 is at the glass shop getting new front and rear windows and trying to figure out why my damn vent windows are so loud so I needed something to drive now. I will mess with it some more after I go get my truck back.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like a sweet car, any pics?

This is all I have at the moment. I will take some more. Pretty soon it's going off to paint and fix a few dings.

Attachments

• Kyleys Car.jpg
    Kyleys Car.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 70

joelson6

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
cool, nice ride. i knew someone that had one with a 5 speed.
wasn't the fastest but it was fun to drive.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '84 Z is the same colors, just opposite. Silver body with charcoal lower skirts. Had the charcoal interior too. Also was an L69 and 5-speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man