Priming engine oil on a Detroit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Gentlemen, I need to prime the oiling system on my Detroit 4-53, is there an alternative to using a $230.00 OTC 6492 oil priming pump? It would be a one time thing and seems pretty expensive to me. I saw a video of a guy using an Ortho pesticide sprayer to prime an engine. Lol! Any alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
You can take an air tank on some sort. One from an old truck. Fill it partially with oil, put a line from the tank to the engine where there is an oil galley plug. Use compressed air in the tank and voila! Primed engine. Probably be a good idea to use a filter between tank and engine if you are unsure of how clean the tank is, also a shut off valve on the oil line Incase you need to stop oil Flow into engine.

Also, you can always hold the shut off lever in off and crank engine to build oil pressure before it fires. You’d be amazed how much oil the crankshaft holds even after being shut off for years.

Ben

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
You can take an air tank on some sort. One from an old truck. Fill it partially with oil, put a line from the tank to the engine where there is an oil galley plug. Use compressed air in the tank and voila! Primed engine. Probably be a good idea to use a filter between tank and engine if you are unsure of how clean the tank is, also a shut off valve on the oil line Incase you need to stop oil Flow into engine.

Also, you can always hold the shut off lever in off and crank engine to build oil pressure before it fires. You’d be amazed how much oil the crankshaft holds even after being shut off for years.

Ben

Thanks Ben, I really want to get some oil through this thing before I go trying to fire it up. I'm not sure how long it would take for the oil pump to circulate oil through it. This engine has never been fired since it was rebuilt and has never had any oil in it either. I'll have to rig up some kind of pressure tank as you suggested. Thank you !

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oriellys will rent You an oiling system for free. I borrowed the one from the store here when I rebuilt the 59 Dodge W100 engine.
Hook the hose to the oil pressure sender port, or wherever the book says to hook it too, dump in Your brand of oil, pressureize the tank and turn on the valve. done, except for removing it from the enjun and returning the tool.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Oriellys will rent You an oiling system for free. I borrowed the one from the store here when I rebuilt the 59 Dodge W100 engine.
Hook the hose to the oil pressure sender port, or wherever the book says to hook it too, dump in Your brand of oil, pressureize the tank and turn on the valve. done, except for removing it from the enjun and returning the tool.

Hey Marty, I wish I had an O'Reilly's close to me, the closest one is an hour away in Stamford Connecticut. All we have here is AutoBlast and Advance. Thanks for the information though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man