Pretty sure its a fuel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyfox

Reaction score
First Name
isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
So when I start my truck she runs like a champ and I would say after about a half a mile she starts to bog down I even lay into the gas to see if I can kill it but it wont die it just slows down and sputters why is that? Thanks guys

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How old is your fuel pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevyfox

Reaction score
First Name
isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I was told that they were both new pumps but I haven't checked could it be my filter

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It could be.

MossyOakSlvrado

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like the fuel filter cpuld be clogging. Id change it out and see if the same thing happens again. If not, then you found the cause, now to find the actual problem of what is clogging it up

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm assuming that you have a TBI system - correct?

With TBI/fuel injection there is no fuel supply buffer (like the bowl of a carburetor). So if you have a fuel flow problem caused by a restriction - like a fouled filter - it doesn't take a while to effect performance.

If the pressure/flow at the injector rail/TBI inlet is below spec, you will notice a lack of throttle response immediately out of the driveway. Also a fuel supply problem due to a fouled filter does not go away - and then return 1/2 mile after a "rest period".

I am sure you have done all the fundamentals (e.g. checked for loose harness connections/damaged wiring insulation, located repaired any vacuum leaks below the throttle body, made sure the inlet air filter is clean, checked the exhaust system for any obstructions, etc.) - so we can skip them.

You note that throttle response is diminished after about 1/2 mile of driving.

1. Is the speed of the vehicle a factor or just distance? IOW - say you drove only 10 mph (as opposed to 50 mph) - would you have to go a longer distance before the truck starts to bog down?

2. Or does the speed of the vehicle appear to have no effect on when the trouble starts? It just hits after a half mile regardless of how long it takes to go that far.

3. Another possible factor is running time; what if you just sit in the driveway and let the truck idle for an amount of time that equals the time it normally takes you to travel 1/2" mile - would the truck have acceleration issues as soon as you hit the street?

BTW - on this and any other request for help in diagnosing a problem - it would help if you could provide some detail regarding your personal history with the truck. Also; a brief timeline as to how this issue developed is helpful (i.e. just started one day & you've had it since, started slowly and kept getting worse, you got the truck and it was already acting this way, etc.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm