power window relay mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Cool. Thanks. I'll give that a shot in the future. Does the end tend to unwrap over time? Like should you use a zip tie to secure it in place? (Like in cold wet conditions)
If you stretch the end and wrap it tight no. It can be a bitch to get off if done right. Especially if it gets warm a few times.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you stretch the end and wrap it tight no. It can be a bitch to get off if done right. Especially if it gets warm a few times.
Awesome. Thanks for the info....

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You better not let @CSFJ see that orange thingy. I downloaded it, so it doesnt matter if you delete the pic..... Lol
You must be registered for see images attach
Lol. It's even funnier if you've read that part of my build thread.

spanky1205

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I had the slow window problems on both sides awhile back. My driver's side window motor completely quit working and now that I have replaced it, cleaned, and lubed all of the tacks the window roles up almost as fast as my newer vehicles. All this to say, the problem I had was more a 30 year old weak window motor and less about how much power I had going to the motor. Thought I would throw that out there just in case you do not get the results you are looking for. FWIW I will be saving this thread so I can make the same changes in the future.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It doesnt need to be complicated-it can be a sanitary and stock appearing upgrade. This image shows auto down added but the basic relay kit is seen here as well. This is as easy as it gets right here.

You must be registered for see images attach

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
That was temporary for test purposes. It all got soldered and sealed up with heat shrink, and not the black stuff either. The clear with glue. The diodes got wrapped in fiberglass tape and rubber tape.
I used to snatch roll after roll of that 3M rubbertape when I was in the military. Good stuff.

What were the diodes for? Should have any problem with power coming back should you?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I used to snatch roll after roll of that 3M rubbertape when I was in the military. Good stuff.

What were the diodes for? Should have any problem with power coming back should you?
For some dumb ass reason it was back feeding and adding diodes was the logical solution.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Subscribed to this thread
Interesting info here

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The diodes prevent the stored charge in the relay coil from backfeeding when it is turned off.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Since we're on the the subject of power windows, my 89 has power door locks but no power windows, any chance that the factory put the PW harness in there anyways????, if it is there that sure would be nice to be able to just plug into it instead of running wires across...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Since we're on the the subject of power windows, my 89 has power door locks but no power windows, any chance that the factory put the PW harness in there anyways????, if it is there that sure would be nice to be able to just plug into it instead of running wires across...
I’m gonna have to say no on that one. Squeeze the accordion boot in the door jamb see if you can feel how many wires are in it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I’m gonna have to say no on that one. Squeeze the accordion boot in the door jamb see if you can feel how many wires are in it.
Oh, I know there's no wires there, I looked at the diagram and it shows the harness going across with a plug on each side but it's high up under the dash..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh, I know there's no wires there, I looked at the diagram and it shows the harness going across with a plug on each side but it's high up under the dash..
I meant going into the doors. The lock relay is mounted to the pedal brace in towards the firewall gas pedal side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128