Power Window Issues! HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Veit27

Reaction score
First Name
Chandler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Hey guys I am in need of some help!! I got my 86 off a friend of mine who had it for 4 years and never touched it. I did a trade with him and got the truck and am now running into some issues with the power windows. I plugged the original switches in and when you rolled the windows down one would go down and the other would go up. I went to the passenger side and same problem. So I ordered new switches. In the meantime I was driving through town one day (No Switches Hooked up at all) and the driver side window just randomly went down. Well my new switches came in the mail and I hooked them up and nothing. Well I made sure all the wires were on the right spot on the driver side switch and after doing that one switch does absolutely nothing but the other switch which would be for one of the windows makes the door lock only on the driver side lock and unlock! Any idea why this going on? I am sure someone has probably screwed with the wires and this whats going on but I wanted to see if you guys had any opinions for what to do! Any help will be gladly appreciated!! Thank you so much!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You'll need to make sure the grounds are grounded good to the chassis and that they are not trying to cross ground off of each other like right to left or left to right. A bit like how trailer lights will lose a taillight when you turn on a turn signal or some other goofy happening. We've got a couple good threads on Power Window troubleshooting and ended with good results. Did you do a search for those?

Veit27

Reaction score
First Name
Chandler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I appreciate that I found a new problem I think! I went out and was working on it again to see if I could find further problems and I plugged in a door lock switch on the passenger side and looked to see if it would work and what do you know the passenger side door lock switch rolled down the driver side window. Then the passenger side window switch operates the passenger side door lock? And the the driver side window switch one operates the driver door lock and the other does the passenger door lock up and down? And lastly I plugged the driver side door lock switch in and seen what it done and it doesnt do anything but you can hear where its trying to operate something but nothing happens! What on earth do I need to do now?!?! I appreciate the quick response but that thread you sent me didnt help me out much! Thank you!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Da faq? :wtf:

Veit27

Reaction score
First Name
Chandler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Sorry man I am new at this whole forum thing and I'm just looking for some input and help....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sorry man I am new at this whole forum thing and I'm just looking for some input and help....

No, I just trying to comprehend what the hell is going on, lol. You got window switches operating locks, this is new to me. Let me look at some wire diagrams....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Got me stumped, I have no clue why that window switch is activating the door lock. All I can think of is some crossed wires. Sometimes the y break where they pass through the door grommets. Have you opened up any door panels yet to take a look at wiring? See if anything has been hacked up?

Veit27

Reaction score
First Name
Chandler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Yeah I have the wires all look good thats what I can't figure out myself lol. This is an absolute disaster! I ordered new switches thinking that would be the answer and nothing lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't see any way how a window switch would activate a power lock, unless maybe there is a really jacked up grounding issue. I don't believe you can mix the plugs up. Last I recall they are keyed to fit the right switch.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds to me someone who didn't know what the hell they're doing has worked on this vehicle. The schematics are in that second link I posted. You're going to have to start chasing wires it would seem to me. Find out what is going where, and if someone has made some changes.

For real, you're saying the Passenger LOCK button, rolled down the driver side WINDOW?
Must be a Custom DEELux model, cuz it sure it Custom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara