Power steering pump bracket for heads without accessory holes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Another question, sorry about that, I'm having problems getting the power steering belt the right size. The dude that sold it to me had an aftermarket billet mount for it, but due to the proximity of the frame rail, there's not a lot of travel to adjust tension. One belt is too big, the next too small. Considering getting something a little bit too small and unbolting the pump from the bracket to see if I can maneuver it around to get it tight without hitting the frame rail. I did a little digging and there is some brackets for trucks in the 60s that didn't have accessory holes in the heads, not sure what works. Any guys out there with older heads that mounted their power steering pumps with brackets that worked? Thanks in advance. All things considered, I could get out my death wheel and take that ear off in the foreground- it's not doing anything and impeding progress. Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Usually a bracket that attaches to the manifold I thought, any wrecker really, but aftermarket heads may have to fabricate one, I’d watch that thread,.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I’m not sure I understand what is not working. Do your heads have the accessory holes in the front of the passenger side head?

Stock setup on my ‘75 has a large bracket bolted to the front of the head, with a hole in the end that is pointed toward the frame rail. The end of the PS bracket in your picture is then bolted to the big bracket. You just pull it tight and tighten down the bolt to hold the belt in tension. I have pictures if you need them.

I did have to do some grinding of the big bracket that wraps around the PS pump. The bracket bolts to the engine at the bottom and that’s the pivot point for adjustment. On mine the bracket hit part of the timing cover as you rotated it toward the passenger side and you couldn’t get the belt loose enough. After a little grinding near the bottom of the bracket it now rotates more and has enough travel to easily remove the belt.

Last edited:

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m not sure I understand what is not working. Do your heads have the accessory holes in the front of the passenger side head?

Stock setup on my ‘75 has a large bracket bolted to the front of the head, with a hole in the end that is pointed toward the frame rail. The end of the PS bracket in your picture is then bolted to the big bracket. You just pull it tight and tighten down the bolt to hold the belt in tension. I have pictures if you need them.

I did have to do some grinding of the big bracket that wraps around the PS pump. The bracket bolts to the engine at the bottom and that’s the pivot point for adjustment. On mine the bracket hit part of the timing cover as you rotated it toward the passenger side and you couldn’t get the belt loose enough. After a little grinding near the bottom of the bracket it now rotates more and has enough travel to easily remove the belt.
Ah, in my haste, my fingers didn’t type “I don’t have accessory holes”. The heads are camel humps from the 60s.

So, the power steering pump is on an aftermarket billet bracket that came with the truck. It bolts to the two lower holes in the front of the block, to the right of the harmonic balancer. The problem is, it really only has an inch of travel for adjustment- the power steering assembly will hit the water pump on the left and then the frame on the right. You can see in the photo that there’s little clearance between the PS pump and the frame.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Here is a picture Mark posted with his 327 in a square. I believe it has the short water pump which allows the p/s pump to move in closer to the center of the engine. This gives more frame clearance.

Your picture is too dark for me to see. Do you have the long water pump?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’ll take a better picture later tonight. Mine is a short water pump as well.
Here is a picture Mark posted with his 327 in a square. I believe it has the short water pump which allows the p/s pump to move in closer to the center of the engine. This gives more frame clearance.

Your picture is too dark for me to see. Do you have the long water pump?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Mark Jones Hey Mark, can you help Chad? What year and model is your P/S pump bracket from? Thanks.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

these are rather easy to find for sub 80 dollars
Good to know, if you know any specific brands please post.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Chevy polished billet aluminum power steering bracket set fits 1963-1987 Chevy 283-305-327-350 small block engines and comes with complete mounting hardware. This set is designed for use with a long water pump and 1966-1978 saginaw pumps with threaded mounting stud on back. It will not work correctly with a short pump. Download HZ-4302 User Manual (PDF)

https://www.cfrperformance.com/coll...ing-bracket-set-chrome?variant=42121958031608 this one appears similar but it has less restrictive uses(maybe)

then we have another:

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Chevy polished billet aluminum power steering bracket set fits 1963-1987 Chevy 283-305-327-350 small block engines and comes with complete mounting hardware. This set is designed for use with a long water pump and 1966-1978 saginaw pumps with threaded mounting stud on back. It will not work correctly with a short pump. Download HZ-4302 User Manual (PDF)

https://www.cfrperformance.com/coll...ing-bracket-set-chrome?variant=42121958031608 this one appears similar but it has less restrictive uses(maybe)

then we have another:

Thing is, I’m not too bright. So after looking closer when I got home, I realized that that stock bracket that is still on the pump is the villain- without getting a good view, It looked as if it was necessary but now I see it’s a hindrance- hidden behind is the ICT style of bracket, the guy before me didn’t remove the pulley to take off the stock bracket. Where’s the facepalm emoji? Anyhoo, y’all helped me solve it (I think)- just need to get a pulley puller from a local parts store, get rid of that stock bracket, and then I will have tenfold amount of adjustment room.

On the upside, just got my LMC factory style tach kit in the mail, so I now have two fun projects to get done. Seriously, looking forward to this.

Thanks for all your kindness and support.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
:emotions122: This one?

When you pull the pulley take note if the pulley face is flush with the shaft or recessed. Reinstall to the same spot.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
:emotions122: This one?

When you pull the pulley take note if the pulley face is flush with the shaft or recessed. Reinstall to the same spot.
Got it, will do!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

this kind obviosly cant work but heres another bracket style to show how a pump in the 77 model year (I think) was

this here is what my engine had originally , which is an AC truck type bracket. I cant tell if it used the head or not from the pic, but I had gotten rid of it because the thing technically needed a AC compressor on the driver side in order to be secured properly (without making a custom braceI guess)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey