Power issue after Starter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Long

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Custom Deluxe camper special
Engine Size
Over the weekend I installed a new starter on my 76 K20 with a 350. After installation I have zero power to the truck. I replaced the positive and negative battery cables. Any suggestions?

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Sound like you missed a wire reconnecting. Or possibly broke a fusible link.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Over the weekend I installed a new starter on my 76 K20 with a 350. After installation I have zero power to the truck. I replaced the positive and negative battery cables. Any suggestions?
You should have two smaller wires that connect to the same large lug as the main starter wire to the battery. If you connected them somewhere else or didn't connect them at all, that's your problem. Both of those wires should have a fusible link and one of them will split intop two wires right after the fusible link. You should also have a single smaller wire that goes to the starter engage lug. You also should have the battery ground wire going to the frame and another equally large wire going from the frame to the alternator bracket.

Doug Long

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The negative battery cable runs from the battery to an engine id tag on the intake manifold. The positive runs to the starter. There are more small wires. One goes to positive batter post on solenoid and the other runs to the R side or ignition side of the solenoid. 3 wires in total. .

Doug Long

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I will check the fusible link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members