Power doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
has anyone messed with putting 81-87 doors on a 73-80 cab? do they mount in the same spot and sit at the same height? i’m aware the hood hinges are completely different which is the hardest part for the front clip swap. But i’m not sure if the doors would be the same to transfer over. I have a 75 cab that is getting prepped to go on my truck and my plan was to use my late model 85 doors since they have power windows and locks. Just not sure if they’ll
bolt right in place, then all i have to worry about is adjusting them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The doors are the same from '77-'87. The newer ones bolt right up to the '73-'76 cabs, it's just a change to the insides. The regulators are different and you can't use the older door panels on the newer doors.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey I bought a set of doors with power windows to replace the dented ones on my project truck. The original truck is manual windows, how much trouble am I gonna have to get the electric windows and locks to work, thanks for you help

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Also are there any tricks to do the change out by my self, I have a engine hoist that might help, just thought I could learn from someone else’s mistakes. Thanks again I could probably google this as well

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
To duplicate factory windows and locks I believe you also find the relays that are used to make them work. IIRC, they are mounted somewhere up under the dash, but I have never checked (my '75 truck does not have either power locks or windows). The lock solenoids and window regulators are in the doors, but I think they draw too much current to be powered directly off the door switches.

I removed my doors to add wiring for aftermarket power locks, and it helped to use a 2x4 frame to support the door while I unbolted and reinstalled it. I drilled out the door and the frame to add the rubber "tunnel" between the door and door frame where you run the wiring to the doors. I used the same tunnel to run speaker wiring to the doors.

I built a short U-shaped wood cradle that held the bottom of the door, and made the cradle assembly wide enough to sit on my small floor jack. I could just run the jack up and down to hold the door in alignment while I removed and reinstalled hinge bolts. I still had to balance the upper part of the door so it wouldn't fall over, but it was much easier than trying to hold the entire weight of the door.

Bruce

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks Bruce how close are you to Mechanicsville

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Swapped doors and adjusted without issues before. A helper is useful but not necessary. Also workes with fenders in place but adjusting is a pain. Power harness plugs in to the fuse box and can be swapped between cabs.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I'm in Northern VA, right off of I-395 on the way into DC, about 100 miles from Mechanicsville, VA.

I've found a couple of junkyards with squarebody trucks in the Stafford and Fredericksburg area. Most of the trucks are base models that are pretty beat up, but I have found a few useful parts.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1