Post cam install blues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did that process already with the step up pistons. No change. I'll try changing plugs.....again but really I feel something has to be causing this to happen to the plugs,

Agreed, just not sure what. Something is different between the two banks.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
V.A.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Only other thing I can think of is you have plug wires crossed. Hope you get it.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size

VA?

Verified all wires correct and even tried a diff new wire to 7 to see if I had a bad one in the new set. Will check intake manifold torqued down rite or not and then throw the damn thing away if that isn't it!!!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Valve adjustment. If the preload isn't right you'll have the same prob. Don't give up man. You haven't had a good time with that cam yet :) I do the zero lash and a 1/4 turn every 100k I will say once you get it right you'll be happy. You state that the only thing that's changed is the cam, lifters, so this is why I say incorrect preload is the issue.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Same bank having problems could also be a coincidence , please don't hesitate to consider cam problems since that's what was just changed . Carb. , ignition, and valve timing are suspect ( but not much) , a valve seal or guide next ( highly doubtful , and I doubt the rings have worn suddenly in that cyl. ).

A flattened cam lobe(s) cause a similar problem too.

Last edited:

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Well ok, tightened down all carb and intake bolts. Carb were 1/2 turn loose. Intake passenger side were all 1/4 turn or less loose. Drivers side bolts around 1-3 were 1 turn loose. 5 were 1/2 turn loose. 7 were 1.5-2 turns loose.

New Bosch Platinums. Re-verified wires on right. Wouldn't crank. Timing advanced too far to keep it running when it was runnin like crap. Backed off timing and fired rite up. Same 20min test drive that resulted in a miss last time yielded no such issue this time. Going to drive more today to be sure.

Otherwise I'm taking off intake and redoing the seal.

Here's hoping!

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I should have made myself a little clearer on the spark issue. I was questioning the distributor and or wires. If the ignition module was going out or shorting across then he would have wet plugs. Maybe a hairline crack in the rotor.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
I think we're good....had to turn out my set screws one more turn (4 now) and wow what a difference...actually rolled the tires from a dead stop...that's a first! Test driving will continue to be sure...thank you fellas for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey